Understanding Rotational Stability of Long Axles: Theory and Analysis

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Kajdosan
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Does anyone know the theory behind rotational stability of a (long, thin) axle? I would like to know the maximum allowable rotational speed of a 5 meter long axle. I suppose its something in line with the theory of column stability, but I can't find anything about it.

I have made a FEM analysis in Solidworks, but I have no idea how its computed and whether its reliable. So I would like a verify it with an analytic calculation to compare.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks

Kaj
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The key words are "shaft whirling" and "critical speeds".

If your software can analyze this, there will almost certainly be a special solution procedure for it. Any results that you might get from a non-rotating buckling analysis will be meaningless.