Understanding Shankar's Principles of QM: Changing Basis of Operators

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Dead Boss
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Basis Operators Qm
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Dead Boss
Messages
150
Reaction score
1
Hi,

I'm reading Shankar's Principles of QM and I find it not very clear on how exactly should I change basis of operator. I know how to change basis of a vector so can I treat the columns of operator matrix as vectors and change them? Or is it something else?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It is something a little different. Let [tex]v_1[/tex] denote a vector represented in basis 1. Then to represent this same vector in terms of a different basis, basis 2, we need to find a matrix [tex]T_{1:2}[/tex] that maps any vector representation from basis 1 to basis 2. Thus if we let [tex]v_2[/tex] denote that vector represented in basis 2, then
[tex]v_2 = T_{1:2} \, v_1[/tex].
This means that
[tex]v_1 = T_{1:2}^{-1} \, v_2[/tex]
so the matrix that maps a vector representation from basis 2 to basis one is
[tex]T_{2:1}=T_{1:2}^{-1}[/tex].

Now, if we have a matrix representation of an operator in basis 1, say [tex]A_1[/tex], then it takes a vector represented in basis 1 and maps it to a different vector represented in basis 1. For our example let
[tex]y_1 = A_1 v_1[/tex].
So if we want to represent y in basis 2 we have,
[tex]y_2 = T_{1:2} y_1 = T_{1:2} A_1 v_1 = T_{1:2} A_1 T_{2:1} v_2[/tex].
Hence, if we want to represent the operator in basis 2, the matrix representation must be
[tex]A_2 = T_{1:2} A_1 T_{2:1} = T_{1:2} A_1 T^{-1}_{1:2}[/tex],
and we have
[tex]y_2 = A_2 v_2[/tex]
as required. If you think about what is happening, it should be easy to remember.

Note that most linear algebra books will cover this.

jason
 
Last edited:
Thank you very much. Maybe I should do some linear algebra book first and then return to Shankar. Can you advise some good books about the subject?
 
"Linear algebra done right", by Sheldon Axler.

But you should start with this post about the relationship between linear operators and matrices.