Understanding the Kronecker Delta function

In summary: It's not needed and can be confusing.In summary, the Kronecker delta function is used to simplify algebraic equations. It takes the determinant of an identity function, which is why the delta's values are 3. The second equation is explained as being related to the sigma summation convention.
Citizen_Insane

Homework Statement

I'm having some trouble understanding the Kronecker Delta function and how it is used. I understand the basics of it, if i=j, delta=1, if not, delta=0. However, I don't understand why:

[tex]\delta_{ii}=3[/tex]
and
[tex]\delta_{ij}\delta_{ij}=3[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] \delta_{ij}= \left\{\begin{array}{cc}1,&\mbox{ if }i=j,\\0, & \mbox{ if } i\neq k\end{array}\right.[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have not been able to find any proofs using the Kronecker delta online anywhere so I'm not exactly sure of its function. My best guess of why [tex]\delta_{ii}=3[/tex] would be that you take the determinant of the identity function which would give you three. However, I'm not exactly sure what to do for the second one.

Also could someone explain why [tex]\delta_{ii}=\delta_{11}+\delta_{22}+\delta_{33}=1+1+1=3[/tex]? That's what was in my book but they didn't have any explanation of why.

Physics news on Phys.org
Citizen_Insane said:
I don't understand why:

[tex]\delta_{ii}=3[/tex]
and
[tex]\delta_{ij}\delta_{ij}=3[/tex]

Where did you find these equalities? They are not correct. I think that they were meant to be these:

[tex]\sum_{i = 1}^{3} \delta_{ii}=3[/tex]
and
[tex]\sum_{i = 1}^{3}\sum_{j = 1}^{3} \delta_{ij}=3[/tex]

The sigma summation sign is generally omitted in the Einstein summation convention, antonantal.

The reason is that the sign is entirely superfluous.

Thanks guys, that makes perfect sense now. I had forgotten that they could have been in Einstein notation.

arildno said:
The sigma summation sign is generally omitted in the Einstein summation convention, antonantal.

The reason is that the sign is entirely superfluous.

I knew about the Einstein notation but I didn't think it was used in the equalities above because the index variable appears only in the subscript position.

According to this convention, when an index variable appears twice in a single term, once in an upper (superscript) and once in a lower (subscript) position, it implies that we are summing over all of its possible values.

That depends.

In expressions where there are no possibilities of misunderstanding, why bother make the distinction between subscripts and superscripts?

Just throw that notational element out as well.

What is the Kronecker Delta function?

The Kronecker Delta function, denoted as δij, is a mathematical function that is defined as 1 if the two indices i and j are equal, and 0 otherwise. It is commonly used in linear algebra and other areas of mathematics.

What is the purpose of the Kronecker Delta function?

The Kronecker Delta function is used to simplify mathematical expressions and make them more concise. It is also useful in defining certain properties and operations in linear algebra, such as the Kronecker product.

How is the Kronecker Delta function used in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, the Kronecker Delta function is used to define the identity matrix, which is a square matrix with 1s on the main diagonal and 0s elsewhere. It is also used in defining the Kronecker product, which is a way to combine two matrices into a larger matrix.

Can the Kronecker Delta function be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Kronecker Delta function can be generalized to higher dimensions by introducing more indices. For example, in three dimensions, it can be denoted as δijk and will be equal to 1 if all three indices are equal and 0 otherwise.

What are the main properties of the Kronecker Delta function?

The main properties of the Kronecker Delta function include symmetry, linearity, and orthogonality. It is also often used in conjunction with the Dirac delta function, which is a generalized function used in calculus and differential equations.