1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding the Kronecker Delta function

1. Sep 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm having some trouble understanding the Kronecker Delta function and how it is used. I understand the basics of it, if i=j, delta=1, if not, delta=0. However, I don't understand why:

[tex]\delta_{ii}=3[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\delta_{ij}\delta_{ij}=3[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex] \delta_{ij}= \left\{\begin{array}{cc}1,&\mbox{ if }i=j,\\0, & \mbox{ if } i\neq k\end{array}\right.[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I have not been able to find any proofs using the Kronecker delta online anywhere so I'm not exactly sure of its function. My best guess of why [tex]\delta_{ii}=3[/tex] would be that you take the determinant of the identity function which would give you three. However, I'm not exactly sure what to do for the second one.

Also could someone explain why [tex]\delta_{ii}=\delta_{11}+\delta_{22}+\delta_{33}=1+1+1=3[/tex]? That's what was in my book but they didn't have any explanation of why.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2007 #2
    Where did you find these equalities? They are not correct. I think that they were meant to be these:

[tex]\sum_{i = 1}^{3} \delta_{ii}=3[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\sum_{i = 1}^{3}\sum_{j = 1}^{3} \delta_{ij}=3[/tex]

4. Sep 20, 2007 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The sigma summation sign is generally omitted in the Einstein summation convention, antonantal.

The reason is that the sign is entirely superfluous.

5. Sep 20, 2007 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

6. Sep 20, 2007 #5
    Thanks guys, that makes perfect sense now. I had forgotten that they could have been in Einstein notation.

7. Sep 20, 2007 #6
    I knew about the Einstein notation but I didn't think it was used in the equalities above because the index variable appears only in the subscript position.

8. Sep 20, 2007 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

That depends.

In expressions where there are no possibilities of misunderstanding, why bother make the distinction between subscripts and superscripts?

Just throw that notational element out as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?