Understanding Velocity: ds/dt and dr/dt in Particle Motion

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Adjoint
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 23K views
Adjoint
Messages
120
Reaction score
3
This is one very basic question. But I just need to confirm if I understood it right.

Suppose a particle moves along a curve and crosses Δs path in Δt time. Then we can say the velocity of the particle is [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] = ds/dt [itex]\hat{u}[/itex]
Where [itex]\hat{u}[/itex] is tangent to the curve.

Also if the same particle, as it crosses Δs, goes through a displacement Δ[itex]\vec{r}[/itex] in the same time interval Δt we say [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] = d[itex]\vec{r}[/itex]/dt

Is the V's calculated above are same (ie equal)?

I know the question is silly, but at present this forum is the only place for me to get help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Adjoint said:
This is one very basic question. But I just need to confirm if I understood it right.

Suppose a particle moves along a curve and crosses Δs path in Δt time. Then we can say the velocity of the particle is [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] = ds/dt [itex]\hat{u}[/itex]
Where [itex]\hat{u}[/itex] is tangent to the curve.

Also if the same particle, as it crosses Δs, goes through a displacement Δ[itex]\vec{r}[/itex] in the same time interval Δt we say [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] = d[itex]\vec{r}[/itex]/dt

Is the V's calculated above are same (ie equal)?

I know the question is silly, but at present this forum is the only place for me to get help.

The are the same. I think I know what you are thinking, that perhaps the second one is slightly smaller because the path may be curved, but any difference between ##\Delta{s}## and ##|\Delta\vec{r}|## goes to 0 in the limit, and any angle between ##\Delta\vec{r}## and the path goes to 0 in the limit as well. So in the limit they are perfectly the same, ##d\vec{r} \over dt## is exactly the vector rate of change of position which is velocity.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
verty said:
any difference between ##\Delta{s}## and ##|\Delta\vec{r}|## goes to 0 in the limit, and any angle between ##\Delta\vec{r}## and the path goes to 0 in the limit as well. So in the limit they are perfectly the same

Thanks. :smile: