Understanding wave particle duality

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of wave-particle duality and mass-energy equivalence. The individual is wondering if particles exist in a state of equilibrium between energy and mass potential and if they can be observed as both a wave and a particle. The equation E=mc2 is mentioned as an example of duality, but it is noted that both concepts should be kept separate. De Broglie's relationship is mentioned as a fundamental equation for understanding wave-particle duality.
i.h87
I haven't studied physics, but I've had this thought in my head lately and I want to get it out. I'm hoping someone here can either help me understand this or set me straight if I'm on the wrong track.

I've been mulling over wave particle duality in my head, and I realized that Einstein sort of showed us a duality as well in E=mc2.

Basically, I'm wondering if while no one is really observing a particle it is present in an equilibrium of energy and mass potential, so it is a wave and a particle at the same time, but when you try to observe it via its mass the energy is converted to mass temporarily, so that the wave form collapses. Conversely if we had a way to observe the particle by its energy, then the mass would be converted to energy and temporarily the particle would disappear - leaving us with a wave.

I'm thinking its balanced between energy and mass normally, but if you check one side of the duality then you force all of the potential energy to that side of the duality and end up with a wave or a particle.

Does that make any sense at all? Are wave/particle duality and E=mc2 related? Am I totally thinking in the wrong direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would just point out that wave-particle duality applies not only to massive particles but also massless particles like photons. But both can be described by the more general equation E=(p2c2+m2c4)1/2. (From which you can derive the limiting form E=mc2).

In my opinion, E=mc2 reflects mass-energy equivalence, which is a relativistic phenomenon, while wave-particle duality is a quantum phenomenon, so you're free to read as deeply into both of them as you'd like, but it's important to keep them straight.

BTW, I think the equation that best reflects wave-particle duality on a basic level is de Broglie's relationship p=h/λ.

Last edited:

1. What is wave particle duality?

Wave particle duality is the concept that all particles, including light and matter, have both wave-like and particle-like properties. This means that they can behave as both a wave and a particle depending on the circumstances of the experiment.

2. Who first proposed the idea of wave particle duality?

The idea of wave particle duality was first proposed by physicist Louis de Broglie in 1924. He suggested that particles, such as electrons, could have wave-like properties similar to light.

3. How does the double-slit experiment demonstrate wave particle duality?

In the double-slit experiment, a single beam of particles, such as light or electrons, is shone through two parallel slits. The resulting pattern on the detector shows interference, similar to what would be expected from waves. This demonstrates the wave-like behavior of particles.

4. Can wave particle duality be observed in everyday life?

Yes, wave particle duality can be observed in everyday life. For example, light behaves as both a wave and a particle in phenomena such as diffraction and the photoelectric effect. Electrons, which are particles, also exhibit wave-like behavior in electron microscopy.

5. Why is understanding wave particle duality important?

Understanding wave particle duality is important because it helps us to better understand the fundamental nature of matter and light. It also has practical applications in fields such as quantum mechanics and technology, such as in the development of transistors and lasers.