Understnding this index notation

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the notation used in the given equations and how to expand it. The person has uploaded the equations on engineering.com and is seeking help in understanding the notation. The conversation mentions the use of Einstein summation convention and provides an example of how to use it to get the six equations. The person also asks for clarification on how to get nine equations using the convention.
kajalschopra

Homework Statement

I shall be grateful if someone can help me understand this notation:

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=340bee11-1ba4-49b2-9a31-1a747012d69b&file=1.gif

I know that this notation will finally/should finally give me the below six equations

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=bced2393-e971-40fe-ad29-fba6ac509567&file=2.gifBut I do not know how to expand the above notation.

I have uploaded the imapge file to engineering.com as I couldn't upload it here

Homework Equations

As stated / described abov

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer but struggling o expand. Tried with notation/calculus but couldn't arrive at it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fix ##i##, ##j## and then run over ##k##.
For example for ##i=x## and ##j=y## $$\epsilon_{xy,kk}=\epsilon_{xy,xx}+\epsilon_{xy,yy}+\epsilon_{xy,zz}$$
Where a comma denotes a partial derivative. (##A_{,x}=\frac{\partial A}{\partial x}##)
Hope this helps.

Sorry..but I'm not able to exactly get what you meant? I mean what do the "###" indicate. Didn't really what you meant by "fix and run over"

I know comma denotes a partial derivative but just not able to get the expansion

kajalschopra said:
what do the "###" indicate
You are not supposed to see those. Are you sure that your browser can render Latex?
I gave an example for you, but if your browser can't render it then there is no point of typing again. Please check that first.
Meanwhile, read about Einstein summation convention. (it seems that this is your problem).

kajalschopra said:
Sorry..but I'm not able to exactly get what you meant? I mean what do the "###" indicate. Didn't really what you meant by "fix and run over"

I know comma denotes a partial derivative but just not able to get the expansion
Here's what it should look like:

Image5.jpg

Likes SammyS
Thanks a lot. I have been reading about Einstein summation convention from here: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/EinsteinSummation.html

Thus, I have:

εij,kk + εkk,ij = εik,jkjk,ik

So, will I get 6 equations from the above?

I think, I will get 9 equations as per Einsteins summation convention?

To get the first equation,

1) To get the first equation, put i = x and j = x and sum over k (the repeated index)
2) To get the second equation , put i = x and j=y and sum over k
3) To get third equation put i = x and j=z and sum over k
4) To get the fourth equation put i =y and j=x and sum over k
5) To get the fifth equation put i =y and j=y and sum over k
6) To get the sixth equation put i =y and j=z and sum over k
7) To get the seventh equation put i =z and j=x and sum over k
8) To get the eigthh equation put i =z and j=y and sum over k
9) To get the ninth equation put i =z and j=z and sum over k

Will it give nine equations? for the above term?

I shall be grateful if someone can help with the above?

What is index notation and why is it important?

Index notation is a mathematical notation that uses indices, or superscripts and subscripts, to represent repeated multiplication or division. It is important because it allows for concise representation of complex equations and simplifies calculations.

How is index notation used in science?

In science, index notation is commonly used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering to express physical quantities and equations. It is also used in statistics and probability to represent data and formulas.

What are the rules for manipulating indices?

The rules for manipulating indices include the product rule, quotient rule, power rule, and negative exponents rule. These rules allow for simplification of equations and operations involving indices.

How does index notation relate to exponents and logarithms?

Index notation is closely related to exponents and logarithms, as they all involve repeated multiplication and division. In fact, exponentiation can be seen as a special case of index notation, where the base is raised to a power represented by the index.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using index notation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using index notation include forgetting to apply the rules for manipulating indices, mixing up the order of operations, and using incorrect indices for the same variable in different parts of an equation. It is important to carefully follow the rules and properly label and manipulate indices to avoid errors.