Index notation and partial derivative

In summary, the expression given above can be written as either:A number.With the corrections shown below, the expression above looks to me like it could also be written as $$\left(\frac{\partial u_i} {\partial x_j} \right)^2$$Note that in partial derivatives you don't mix the partial derivative symbol ##\partial## with the ##d## used in ordinary derivatives.OTOH, if the intent was to write a 2nd partial derivative, it could be written like this:$$\frac {\partial}{ \partial x_j} \left(\frac {\partial u_i} {\partial x_j}\right)
sanson
Hi all,

I am having some problems expanding an equation with index notation. The equation is the following:

$$\frac {\partial{u_i}} {dx_j}\frac {\partial{u_i}} {dx_j} $$

I considering if summation index is done over i=1,2,3 and then over j=1,2,3 or ifit does not apply.
Any hint on this would be much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

That's not an equation, that's an expression. I imagine it means:

$$\sum_{i = 1}^{N} \sum_{j = 1}^{N} \frac {\partial{u_i}} {dx_j}\frac {\partial{u_i}} {dx_j} $$ Where the order of the summations is not important.

Dear Perok,

Thanks for both, the correction and the explanation. I imagine the same solution but I am not always so sure with the index notation applied to partial derivatives...

to further clarify, that expression gives always an scalar? Or there is not enough information to affirm that?

sanson said:
Dear Perok,

Thanks for both, the correction and the explanation. I imagine the same solution but I am not always so sure with the index notation applied to partial derivatives...

to further clarify, that expression gives always an scalar? Or there is not enough information to affirm that?
It depends how you define a scalar.

Let’s say ##u## is the velocity vector and the partial derivative are spatial derivative of the velocity vector. I am wondering if I am getting a single number, a vector or a tensor.

sanson said:
Let’s say ##u## is the velocity vector and the partial derivative are spatial derivative of the velocity vector. I am wondering if I am getting a single number, a vector or a tensor.
A number.

sanson said:
Hi all,

I am having some problems expanding an equation with index notation. The equation is the following:

$$\frac {\partial {u_i}} {dx_j}\frac {\partial{u_i}} {dx_j} $$

I considering if summation index is done over i=1,2,3 and then over j=1,2,3 or ifit does not apply.
Any hint on this would be much appreciated
With the corrections shown below, the expression above looks to me like it could also be written as $$\left(\frac{\partial u_i} {\partial x_j} \right)^2$$
Note that in partial derivatives you don't mix the partial derivative symbol ##\partial## with the ##d## used in ordinary derivatives.

OTOH, if the intent was to write a 2nd partial derivative, it could be written like this:
$$\frac {\partial}{ \partial x_j} \left(\frac {\partial u_i} {\partial x_j}\right) $$

1. What is index notation?

Index notation is a mathematical notation used to express equations with multiple variables. It uses subscripts to represent the different variables, making it easier to write and understand complex equations.

2. How is index notation used in partial derivatives?

In partial derivatives, index notation is used to represent the different variables that are being differentiated with respect to. The partial derivative is denoted by a subscripted comma followed by the variable, such as f,x for the partial derivative of f with respect to x.

3. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative?

A partial derivative measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding the other variables constant. A total derivative, on the other hand, measures the overall rate of change of a function with respect to all of its variables.

4. How do you calculate a partial derivative using the quotient rule?

The quotient rule for partial derivatives states that the partial derivative of a quotient of two functions is equal to the denominator multiplied by the partial derivative of the numerator, minus the numerator multiplied by the partial derivative of the denominator, all divided by the square of the denominator. This can be written as (f/g),x = (g*f,x - f*g,x)/g2.

5. Can index notation be used in higher dimensions?

Yes, index notation can be extended to higher dimensions by adding additional subscripts to represent the different variables. For example, in three dimensions, the partial derivative of a function f(x,y,z) with respect to x would be denoted as f,x and the partial derivative of f with respect to y and z would be denoted as f,y and f,z, respectively.