Understanding Index Notation: Allowed Combinations Explained

In summary, in this conversation, the participants are discussing index notation and the rules for allowed expressions. The first two equations (a = bicijdj and a = bici + dj) are not allowed because the free indices do not appear on both sides of the equation. The third equation (ai = δijbi + ci) is not allowed because the same index appears on both sides without being summed. The fourth equation (ak = bicki) is allowed because the free index "k" appears on both sides and is being summed over on the right side. The participants then discuss a new question about whether aij = bji and akl = bickidl + eki are allowed in index notation. The expert summarizes that
squire636
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question, so please let me know if there is a better place for me to post it. I'm having trouble understanding index notation. I understand the basics, such as in the following examples:

(a x b) = εijkajbk

εijkεiab = δjaδkbδjbδka

δijaj = ai

Homework Statement

Here's the problem I'm trying to solve: Which of the following are allowed in index notation:

a = bicijdj
a = bici + dj
ai = δijbi + ci
ak = bicki

There are a whole bunch more of these, but I think I can probably figure those out if I get some help with these. Please explain which of those are allowed in index notation and why they are allowed or not allowed. Thanks!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'd say that the first is allowed because neither i nor j is repeated more than twice.
Same with the second.
For the third, I know δijbi = bj but then I'm not sure what to make of it from there.
The fourth seems okay since k is the free variable and we're summing over i.

Thanks again for your explanations!

Physics news on Phys.org
These should be:
squire636 said:
(a x b)i = εijkajbk

εijkεiab = δjaδkb-δjbδka

You have to have the same free indexes on both sides of the equation. How does that change your answers?

Ah yes, the minus sign that I forgot was simply a typo, and I had seen the cross product written with that subscript...but I didn't realize it was necessary.

Does this imply that the first two are not allowed because the a does not have a subscript i?

The third one wouldn't be allowed either because the free index on the left side is "i", but the right side will have the indices "j" and "i."

The fourth looks like it should work.

New question:
What about something like aij = bji ? I can't tell if this is fine because we're just switching the indices, or if it is complete nonsense since there is no repeated index and therefore no summing.

How about akl = bickidl + eki ? Here, everything looks fine except for the addition of e. k and l are the free indices, and we are summing over i...but I'm not sure how to interpret the addition of eki.

Thanks again!

Remember only the free indices need to appear on both sides. The ones that are summed over don't. In the first one, both i and j are summed over, so they don't need to appear on the lefthand side.

The fourth one is fine, as you said. The second and third aren't good, but not for the reasons you said. Based on what I said, can you see why they're wrong now?

For the second one...the first term is being summed over "i", and "j" is the free index, but it does not appear on the left side.

For the third...the first term is being summed over "i", but then the same index occurs in the second term and is not being summed, so this makes no sense.

Right.

Thanks! Any comments on the new question that I posted? (see "New Question" in bold a few posts up).

What do you think?

I don't actually think I can get any further in my reasoning than I already have...

A summation isn't required, and you should already be able to answer the second one. I'm not sure why you're confused about it.

1. What is index notation?

Index notation is a mathematical notation used to represent repeated multiplication. It is commonly used in fields such as physics and engineering to simplify complex equations.

2. How do I read index notation?

The number written to the upper right of a base number in index notation is called the exponent. It tells you how many times the base number should be multiplied by itself. For example, 23 would be read as "2 to the power of 3" or "2 cubed."

3. What are the allowed combinations in index notation?

The allowed combinations in index notation are when the base number and exponent are both positive integers, or when the base number is a positive integer and the exponent is 0 or a negative integer. For example, 23 and 20 are allowed, but 2-3 is not allowed.

4. Can I simplify expressions with index notation?

Yes, you can simplify expressions with index notation using the rules of exponents. For example, 23 * 22 can be simplified to 25 by adding the exponents.

5. How is index notation used in real-world applications?

Index notation is commonly used in physics and engineering to represent physical quantities, such as velocity or force, that involve repeated multiplication. It is also used in computer science and programming to represent data structures and algorithms.