Undetermined coefficient (y'' + 4y) = (x^2) +2

• Thread starter werson tan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coefficient
In summary: The equation to be solved is(D2 + 4)y = 2 + x2What is the RHS (D2 + 4) of?The RHS of (D2 + 4)y = 2 + x2 is (D2 + 4)x2 = 2 + 4x2.
werson tan

Homework Statement

i gt stucked here ... how to continue ? what's wrong with my working ? i found 2 values for D , whcih is wrong

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 4.png
    4.png
    48 KB · Views: 841
Physics news on Phys.org
werson tan said:

Homework Statement

i gt stucked here ... how to continue ? what's wrong with my working ? i found 2 values for D , whcih is wrong

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Your selection of yp is confusing. It is recommended that if the RHS is a polynomial of order n, then yp = a general polynomial of order n, not order n+1.

See:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/UndeterminedCoefficients.aspx

SteamKing said:
Your selection of yp is confusing. It is recommended that if the RHS is a polynomial of order n, then yp = a general polynomial of order n, not order n+1.

See:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/UndeterminedCoefficients.aspx
then , what is the correct yp ?

i choose my initial yp = cX^2 + Dx + E , nut i found that the term E is similar to the A , so i multiply the initial yp with x , to get my new yp

werson tan said:
then , what is the correct yp ?

i choose my initial yp = cX^2 + Dx + E , nut i found that the term E is similar to the A , so i multiply the initial yp with x , to get my new yp
A and E are solitary constants. You don't need to multiply your initial choice of yp by x.

Your difficulty is that your solution to the associated homogeneous equation is wrong! The associated homogeneous equation is y''+ 4y= 0 which has characteristic equation [itex]m^2+ 4= 0[/itex] with solutions 2i and -2i. You have written the characteristic equation as [itex]m^2+ 4m= 0[/itex] which has solutions m= -4 and m= 0. That would correspond to differential equation y''+ 4y'= 0.

HallsofIvy said:
Your difficulty is that your solution to the associated homogeneous equation is wrong! The associated homogeneous equation is y''+ 4y= 0 which has characteristic equation [itex]m^2+ 4= 0[/itex] with solutions 2i and -2i. You have written the characteristic equation as [itex]m^2+ 4m= 0[/itex] which has solutions m= -4 and m= 0. That would correspond to differential equation y''+ 4y'= 0.
i have redo the question , i got Acos2x + Bsin2x +0.25x^2 + 3/2 , but the ans given is Acos2x + Bsin2x +0.25x^2 +3/8

werson tan said:
i have redo the question , i got Acos2x + Bsin2x +0.25x^2 + 3/2 , but the ans given is Acos2x + Bsin2x +0.25x^2 +3/8
Check your arithmetic or provide your work to obtain this solution.

SteamKing said:
Check your arithmetic or provide your work to obtain this solution.
i have attached the working in the picture uploaded above

werson tan said:
I deleted the picture you attached. It was extremely hard to read, with the top so dark it was nearly impossible to read, and portions were cut off.
werson tan said:
i have attached the working in the picture uploaded above
It's gone now. We would prefer that you show your work here in the input pane, rather than in a poor quality image with bad lighting and information cut off.

I should add that you're 1 point away from a permanent ban. You should be extra careful to make sure that your posts follow the rules here.

werson tan said:
i gt stucked here
"Stucked" is not a word in English. You can get stuck or you got stuck, but you can't get "stucked."

Mark44 said:
"Stucked" is not a word in English. You can get stuck or you got stuck, but you can't get "stucked."

Whatever it is you can't gt it anyway. :oldbiggrin:

And anyway people don't need to post the dark images we see a lot, there are apps like DocScan HD for iPad which clean them up. But anyway this is only recommended for diagrams - we don't like it for maths calculation pages in fact you have been warned so better not this type of work.

If this question is meant as an in exercise in variation of parameters even though the equation can be solved in other ways then OK. But if the question is just solving the given equation then In the spirit of another post on d.e.'s I made yesterday #4 for this one too you can practically eliminate guessing and having to know stuff and you don't need variation of parameters.

The equation to be solved is

(D2 + 4)y = 2 + x2

What is the RHS (D2 + 4) of?

Well (D2 + 4)x2 = 2 + 4x2

To get something like the RHS

(D2 + 4)(x2/4) = ½ + x2 = (2 + x2) - 3/2

So the d.e. can be written:

(D2 + 4)(y - x2/4) = - 3/2

It is not hard to find what a constant is (D2 + 4) of.

-3/2 = (D2 + 4)(-⅜)

So our equation is

(D2 + 4)(y -x2/4 + ⅜) = 0

In other words we have transformed by a systematic procedure our original non-homogeneous equation into a homogeneous (and familiar!) homogeneous one that we know how to solve.

d2Y/dx2 = -4Y

in a new variable Y

Y = ( y -x2/4 + ⅜)

I have not completed this, but we are getting the same x2/4 and ⅜ that were obtained in the other approaches, so it is looking OK.

I think the equation of #4 can also be solved this way

Last edited:

Related to Undetermined coefficient (y'' + 4y) = (x^2) +2

What is the concept of "Undetermined coefficient"?

The concept of "Undetermined coefficient" refers to a method used in solving differential equations. It involves assuming a general form of the solution and then finding the coefficients that satisfy the equation.

How is the Undetermined coefficient method applied to the equation (y'' + 4y) = (x^2) +2?

In the Undetermined coefficient method, we first assume a general form of the solution, which in this case is y = Ax^2 + Bx + C. Then, we substitute this into the original equation and solve for the coefficients A, B, and C by comparing the coefficients of the same powers of x on both sides of the equation.

Is the Undetermined coefficient method the only way to solve differential equations?

No, there are other methods such as the variation of parameters and the Laplace transform method. The choice of method depends on the type of differential equation and the available initial conditions.

What are the advantages of using the Undetermined coefficient method?

The Undetermined coefficient method is relatively simple and straightforward to use. It also gives a general solution that can be easily adapted to different initial conditions.

Are there any limitations to the Undetermined coefficient method?

Yes, the Undetermined coefficient method can only be applied to linear differential equations with constant coefficients. It also may not work for all types of functions on the right-hand side of the equation, such as trigonometric functions or exponential functions.