Unexpected NSERC win (Seeking career guidance)

In summary, the speaker has recently received the NSERC scholarship but had to leave their PhD program in high energy physics due to financial and family responsibilities. They have been searching for jobs in the field but have come to the realization that there are limited opportunities. The scholarship may be a chance to change this and the speaker is seeking suggestions for other fields of study that could lead to job opportunities after graduation. The speaker mentions medical physics and geophysics as potential options and emphasizes the importance of developing skills that are in demand in the job market.
sparkplug
Hi
I just received word that I have won the NSERC scholarship that I applied for last September. Unfortunatly I had to leave my PhD position in high energy physics last December due to financial/family responsibilities. After some job searching the last few months I realize that I was naive to believe there would be jobs in this field. However this scholarship maybe an opportunity to turn this around. What kind of things could I study(not necessarily even in the area of physics) in order to ensure I will have a job when I graduate?

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as physics goes you could consider medical physics or geophysics. Both are very lucrative fields.

In my oinion, the key, whatever you pursue, is to develop some skills that are in demand in the real world.

Congratulations on winning the NSERC scholarship! This is a great achievement and I am sure it will open up many opportunities for you. It is understandable that you had to leave your PhD position in high energy physics due to financial and family responsibilities, but I am glad to hear that this scholarship may provide a chance for you to continue your studies.

In terms of career guidance, I would suggest exploring different fields and industries that have a demand for skilled individuals with a background in physics. Some potential areas to consider could be renewable energy, data science, or even finance. You could also look into interdisciplinary research opportunities that combine physics with other fields such as biology or engineering.

Additionally, networking and staying updated on industry trends and job market demands can also be helpful in identifying potential career paths. It may also be beneficial to gain experience through internships or part-time positions in relevant industries to enhance your skills and make yourself more marketable to employers.

Overall, the key is to remain open-minded and adaptable in your career choices and to continue building upon your knowledge and skills in order to stay competitive in the job market. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

1. How did you win the NSERC award unexpectedly?

I applied for the NSERC award through the regular application process and was surprised to find out that I had won. I believe my research proposal and past academic achievements played a significant role in my unexpected win.

2. What impact will this NSERC award have on your career?

The NSERC award will provide me with financial support for my research, which will allow me to focus more on my studies and experiments. It will also enhance my credibility as a researcher and open up more opportunities for collaboration and networking.

3. How will you utilize the NSERC funds?

The NSERC funds will primarily be used for my research project, including purchasing necessary equipment and materials, covering travel expenses for conferences, and paying for research assistants. I will also use a portion of the funds to attend workshops and training programs to enhance my skills and knowledge.

4. What advice do you have for others seeking an NSERC award?

My advice would be to carefully read and follow the guidelines provided by NSERC, as well as seek feedback from experienced researchers on your research proposal. Also, make sure to highlight your past research achievements and the potential impact of your proposed research in your application.

5. How will winning this NSERC award help advance your research goals?

The NSERC award will provide me with the necessary financial support to conduct my research and potentially lead to new discoveries and publications. It will also allow me to attend conferences and workshops to present my findings and gain valuable feedback from other experts in the field.