Unformal question about molecules of gases

In summary, the molecules of gases in air move at a high speed, but due to their chaotic movement, it takes longer for certain molecules like perfume to reach our nose. This also explains why wind develops as a result of pressure or temperature differences on the Earth's surface.
fluidistic
Gold Member
In high school I've been told that the molecules of gases have generally speed of severals kilometers per second. Hence why the wind is not always present, and why not that fast? (I guess it has to see with the huge number of particles... I never studied such a system in Physics yet, I believe but I might be wrong.)
Also why when I open a bottle of perfume I cannot smell its odor if I'm at say 2 meters from it? (It's like the big molecules of perfume cannot move that fast at all since there are too much other molecules or so).
Thanks.
P.S.: I've asked this question to my teacher when I was younger and it seems he misunderstood the question. Answering that the wind was a depression or something like that. Which do not say why the wind is not as fast as most molecules in air so most molecules forming the wind itself.

Physics news on Phys.org
fluidistic said:
In high school I've been told that the molecules of gases have generally speed of severals kilometers per second. Hence why the wind is not always present, and why not that fast? (I guess it has to see with the huge number of particles... I never studied such a system in Physics yet, I believe but I might be wrong.)
Also why when I open a bottle of perfume I cannot smell its odor if I'm at say 2 meters from it? (It's like the big molecules of perfume cannot move that fast at all since there are too much other molecules or so).
Thanks.
P.S.: I've asked this question to my teacher when I was younger and it seems he misunderstood the question. Answering that the wind was a depression or something like that. Which do not say why the wind is not as fast as most molecules in air so most molecules forming the wind itself.

Essentially, the gas molecules are moving in a chaotic pattern so it takes longer for them (e.g. "perfume molecules") to diffuse through the air and to your nose.

Wind develops as a result of pressure or temperature differences between two locations on the Earth's surface.

CS

Thank you stewartcs, I get it.

What are molecules of gases?

Molecules of gases are particles that make up gases and are composed of two or more atoms that are bonded together. They are constantly moving and have no definite shape or volume.

What is the difference between molecules of gases and molecules of liquids or solids?

The main difference is the amount of space between the molecules. Molecules of gases have the most space between them, while molecules of liquids are closer together and molecules of solids are tightly packed.

How do molecules of gases behave?

Molecules of gases are in constant motion and collide with each other and the walls of their container. They also have a tendency to spread out and fill the available space.

What factors affect the behavior of molecules of gases?

The behavior of molecules of gases is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the type of gas. Higher temperatures and lower pressures tend to make molecules move faster and take up more space.

Why are molecules of gases important in our daily lives?

Molecules of gases are essential for many everyday activities, such as breathing, cooking, and transportation. They also play a crucial role in the Earth's atmosphere and climate.