"Unfortunately, You are not the right fit at this time"

  • Topic: Job Skills 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Hercuflea
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fit Time
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
Hercuflea
Messages
593
Reaction score
49
I've been getting this as almost a robotic response from every company I've applied to lately. "Unfortunately, You are not the right fit at this time, and we are considering other candidates...blah blah." I'm starting to think it's because my experience isn't specialized enough? I have an MS in Physics where I did a thesis using python and XML to run some turbulence simulations. It doesn't seem to really fit the job description anywhere I apply. What can I do to be a "better fit"? At what time??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I have a question for you. What kinds of positions are you applying to? Without having a better idea of what kinds of jobs you are looking for, it is difficult to determine how you can be a "better fit" (i.e. be a potential candidate for a given job).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ben Espen
I should also add that in my Conversation (i.e. PM) to you, I gave you some specific tips on gaining relevant knowledge to enter specific fields. I'm willing to follow up with you in more detail again.
 
I've applied to anything I see that somewhat corresponds to my background. Programming, data science, engineering positions, defense companies, aerospace, admin, IT, teaching and tutoring, Spanish interpreter... The only thing that's given a positive response are teaching and tutoring, but I don't want to do that unless its my last resort because it will not give me any valuable work experience. Sent you a PM.
 
Hercuflea said:
I've been getting this as almost a robotic response from every company I've applied to lately. "Unfortunately, You are not the right fit at this time, and we are considering other candidates...blah blah." I'm starting to think it's because my experience isn't specialized enough? I have an MS in Physics where I did a thesis using python and XML to run some turbulence simulations. It doesn't seem to really fit the job description anywhere I apply. What can I do to be a "better fit"? At what time??
Have you tried politely asking the interviewer "If you can, what specifically is the "fit" this position is seeking?" It won't help THIS interview, but might provide you with insight into what "hidden" aspects the company is seeking, and thus (possibly) aid you with future applications?
 
Old Tele man said:
Have you tried politely asking the interviewer "If you can, what specifically is the "fit" this position is seeking?" It won't help THIS interview, but might provide you with insight into what "hidden" aspects the company is seeking, and thus (possibly) aid you with future applications?

This advice would only be helpful if one has actually had a face-to-face interview, and then had been turned down the position. It would not surprise me if in many instances, the rejection would be sent out as an automated e-mail.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: symbolipoint
True, when the company is NOT truly looking for candidates but rather merely "meeting Federal/State Hiring Requirements" by posting the position (which, unfortunately happens WAY too often).

My point was: turn each interview opportunity into a concurrent "information gathering" opportunity, something to provide you with better insight into being "better" considered at the NEXT interview, by being able to tailor your responses to align more with what the *company* seeks and less with what *you* think they want.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff
In case you are interviewing for a position which you believe is at least a "good" fit, if not exactly the "right" fit, explain to the interviewer HOW you fit, and be as specific as possible.