1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Job Skills "Unfortunately, You are not the right fit at this time"

1. Apr 26, 2016 #1
    I've been getting this as almost a robotic response from every company I've applied to lately. "Unfortunately, You are not the right fit at this time, and we are considering other candidates...blah blah." I'm starting to think it's because my experience isn't specialized enough? I have an MS in Physics where I did a thesis using python and XML to run some turbulence simulations. It doesn't seem to really fit the job description anywhere I apply. What can I do to be a "better fit"? At what time??

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2016 #2

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

I have a question for you. What kinds of positions are you applying to? Without having a better idea of what kinds of jobs you are looking for, it is difficult to determine how you can be a "better fit" (i.e. be a potential candidate for a given job).

4. Apr 26, 2016 #3

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

I should also add that in my Conversation (i.e. PM) to you, I gave you some specific tips on gaining relevant knowledge to enter specific fields. I'm willing to follow up with you in more detail again.

5. Apr 26, 2016 #4
    I've applied to anything I see that somewhat corresponds to my background. Programming, data science, engineering positions, defense companies, aerospace, admin, IT, teaching and tutoring, Spanish interpreter... The only thing that's given a positive response are teaching and tutoring, but I don't want to do that unless its my last resort because it will not give me any valuable work experience. Sent you a PM.

6. Apr 26, 2016 #5
    Have you tried politely asking the interviewer "If you can, what specifically is the "fit" this position is seeking?" It won't help THIS interview, but might provide you with insight into what "hidden" aspects the company is seeking, and thus (possibly) aid you with future applications?

7. Apr 26, 2016 #6

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

This advice would only be helpful if one has actually had a face-to-face interview, and then had been turned down the position. It would not surprise me if in many instances, the rejection would be sent out as an automated e-mail.

8. Apr 26, 2016 #7
    True, when the company is NOT truly looking for candidates but rather merely "meeting Federal/State Hiring Requirements" by posting the position (which, unfortunately happens WAY too often).

My point was: turn each interview opportunity into a concurrent "information gathering" opportunity, something to provide you with better insight into being "better" considered at the NEXT interview, by being able to tailor your responses to align more with what the *company* seeks and less with what *you* think they want.

9. Apr 26, 2016 #8

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

In case you are interviewing for a position which you believe is at least a "good" fit, if not exactly the "right" fit, explain to the interviewer HOW you fit, and be as specific as possible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted