Uniform boundedness of integral of differences

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of a K value that satisfies a given condition involving a continuous probability density function p on the set of real numbers. The conditions for p to have a bounded variation, continuous first derivative, or similar behavior are considered. The behavior of p around y=0 is determined to be the most important factor, with the derivative of p potentially playing a role in the problem. The possibility of a similar result for continuous functions, particularly in a multivariate setting, is also mentioned.
Pere Callahan
Hello,

I'm interested in the following problem. We are given a probability density p on R, that is a continuous positive function which integrates to 1. What are the weakest possible conditions on p such that there exists a K>0 satisfying
[tex]
\int_{\mathbb{R}}{|p(x+y)-p(x)|dx}<K|y|,\quad\forall y\in\mathbb{R}
[/tex]
or equivalently
[tex]
\sup_{y\in\mathbb{R}}\frac{\int_{\mathbb{R}}{|p(x+y)-p(x)|dx}}{|y|}<\infty.
[/tex]

I assume there must be conditions like bounded variation, continuous first derivative or something similar.

If we denote
[tex]
\Delta(y)=\int_{\mathbb{R}}{|p(x+y)-p(x)|dx}
[/tex]

it seems clear that only the behavior around y=0 matters; because [itex]\Delta[/itex] is continuous it must take on its maximum on the compact set [itex]\{y:\varepsilon\leq |y|\leq R\}[/itex], R>2, which we denote by M. This means that
[tex]
\sup_{\{y:\varepsilon\leq |y|\leq R\}}\frac{\Delta(y)}{|y|}\leq\frac{M}{\varepsilon}.
[/tex]

The easy estimate [itex]\Delta(u)\leq 2[/itex] implies
[tex]
\sup_{\{y:|y|\geq R\}}\frac{\Delta(y)}{|y|}\leq 1
[/tex]
so one only needs to worry about [itex]\{y:|y|\leq \varepsilon\}[/itex] and I think that it is here that the derivative of p enters the game.

I would appreciate very much any thoughts on the problem,

regards,
Pere

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry to bring this thread up, but it seems to me that bounded variation is indeed one way to go.

At least for univariate step functions f it seems clear that

[tex]
\lim_{u\to 0}\frac{1}{|u|}\int_{\mathbb{R}}{dv|f(v-u)-fv|}=||f||_{\text{Variation}}
[/tex]

Does anyone know if a similar result holds for continuous functions? Or maybe even in a multivariate setting.

I'd very much appreciate any thoughts,

Thanks,

Pere

1. What is the Uniform Boundedness Theorem?

The Uniform Boundedness Theorem, also known as the Banach-Steinhaus Theorem, is a fundamental result in functional analysis that establishes a relationship between pointwise convergence and uniform convergence of a sequence of linear operators.

2. What is the significance of the Uniform Boundedness Theorem?

The Uniform Boundedness Theorem is a powerful tool for proving the convergence of a sequence of functions or operators. It is also used in many other areas of mathematics, such as in the study of differential equations and Fourier series.

3. Can you provide an example of how the Uniform Boundedness Theorem is used?

One example is in the proof of the Banach-Steinhaus Theorem, where the Uniform Boundedness Theorem is used to show that the set of bounded linear operators is also pointwise bounded, leading to the conclusion that the set is uniformly bounded.

4. How does the Uniform Boundedness Theorem relate to integral of differences?

The Uniform Boundedness Theorem can be applied to a sequence of integrals of differences to show that the sequence is uniformly bounded. This is useful in proving the convergence of the integral of differences.

5. Are there any limitations to the Uniform Boundedness Theorem?

Like any theorem, the Uniform Boundedness Theorem has its limitations. It only applies to linear operators and cannot be used for nonlinear operators. Additionally, the theorem does not provide a method for finding the uniform bound, so it must be determined separately.