1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform circular motion - 2 dimensional - 2 forces

1. Apr 12, 2012 #1
    An object moves in the xy-plane in a uniform circular motion. We know that there is two forces action upon the object. One we have that is F1, F2 is unknown. Both vectors

speed : 4m/s
    radius : 4m
    mass : 1kg
    F1 : 10 i N (i as in x-direction vector)
    F2 : ? (bound to be in the xy-plane)

How do I calculate F2, and I have to calculate it when the angle between the rope and the x-axis is 0, Pi/2 , Pi. The rope has no mass by the way. The motion is counter-clockwise, and the angle is zero when the ball is at the positive side of the x-axis (given that origin is in the middle of the motion).

Thank you!

Excuse my poor english

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2012 #2
    Can you tell us what the acceleration of particle if it is in a Uniform circular motion?

4. Apr 12, 2012 #3
    Hey finitefemmet,

As the speed is given you can calculate the centripetal force required for the circular motion. Then find F2 such that F1 + F2 is equal to the required force and in the given direction.

Try solving after this.

5. Apr 12, 2012 #4
    Okey,

so I have calculated that the net force for the circular motion is 4N.... -4(j) if we are at angle zero position.

Now correct me if I am wrong on this:

When the angle is 0, that is when the ball is on the right side of origin on the x-axis.
    The force is then pointing too origin and that is negative x-direction. F2 is then : -4(j) - 10 (i).

Minus 10 too "cancel" out the y-axis force and -4(j) too get the right net force.

And so on for the rest of the angles

Right track?

Thanks for the quick response!

6. Apr 14, 2012 #5
    Is that correct?

7. Apr 15, 2012 #6
    Well

F = (m*v2) / r
    F = (1*4^2) / 4 = 4
    And the force is pointing towards the center.

8. Apr 15, 2012 #7
    that is why it is -4(i) not (j)

9. Apr 16, 2012 #8
    My mistake, you are absolutely right!

But now that is solved, the rest of my thinking should be okey?

10. Apr 16, 2012 #9
    yeah rest is right. The only mistake was this one

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook