1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform Circular Motion of Swinging Objects

1. Oct 11, 2012 #1
    I am very confused with a particular aspect of part of my physics curriculum.

Let's say there is an object swinging on a rope swinging in a circular motion. The mass of the object, length of rope, and angle of rope relative to y axis are known.

How does one derive the tension of the rope only given the angle, not the period or velocity? I have seen previous attempts use the weight of the object to determine the tension, but that seem to include all of the forces necessary (centripetal force?). Is the tension of a non-vertical rope depend entirely upon the vertical forces acting upon it?

I would greatly appreciate any help on this. It would help if you can answer it with physics and not math.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You also need the mass ... and you draw a free-body diagram.
    No - it depends on the radial forces acting on it.

If, say, gravity is the only force acting, then the tension will provide a net unbalanced force pointing perpendicular to the rope (in the direction of the acceleration).
    You should realise that, when something is swinging, the circular motion is not uniform - there is also a tangential acceleration.

I hear you - but bear in mind that math is the language of physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook