Uniform circular motion particle problem

In summary: The acceleration vectors at t1 and t2 do not enclose an angle. They are perpendicular to each other. The total time period is more than 1.00 s, but the exact value is not given. The magnitude of the acceleration is not given either. The acceleration is related to the angular speed and radius of the circle by the equations T= (2∏r)/v and a=v^2/r. To find the radius of the circle, you need to solve for r in one of these equations using the given information. First, find the angular displacement of the particle from t1 to t2 by using the fact that the particle is moving at constant speed. Then, use this angular displacement and the period to find the
EngnrMatt

Homework Statement

At t1 = 3.00 s, the acceleration of a particle moving at constant speed in counterclockwise circular motion is

a1=(6m/s2)i+(5m/s2)j

At t2 = 4.00 s (less than one period later), the acceleration is

a2=(5m/s2)i-(6m/s2)j

The period is more than 1.00 s. What is the radius of the circle?

Homework Equations

T= (2∏r)/v
a=v2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew out the vectors, but that's all I could do with the problem. Maybe I'm supposed to integrate to find velocity or something? I just really don't understand where to start. If I knew that, I could probably finish it up. But there's so much information given in the book for circular motion, I don't know what to do with it.

Physics news on Phys.org
What angle the acceleration vectors do enclose? What can be the total time period? What is the magnitude of the acceleration? How is the acceleration related to the angular speed and radius of circle?ehild

I don't know whether I'm supposed to find the angles of the individual vectors or average the acceleration over the given time period then find that one angle. And once that's done, I don't know what do with that information either. I wish I had a better professor, all he does is prove equations during class. Never goes over any examples.

Try to answer my questions. That will lead to the solution. It is uniform circular motion. The acceleration is centripetal. The acceleration vectors are along the radii. What is the angular displacement of the particle from t1 to t2?

ehild

Attachments

• angular displacement.JPG
    angular displacement.JPG
    6.7 KB · Views: 626

As a scientist, it is important to approach a problem like this systematically and use the relevant equations to find a solution. In this case, we can use the equation a=v^2/r to find the radius of the circle.

First, we need to find the magnitude of the acceleration at t1 and t2. We can do this by using the Pythagorean theorem to combine the x and y components of the acceleration vectors.

At t1: a1 = √((6m/s^2)^2 + (5m/s^2)^2) = √(36 + 25) = √61 m/s^2
At t2: a2 = √((5m/s^2)^2 + (-6m/s^2)^2) = √(25 + 36) = √61 m/s^2

Next, we can use the equation a=v^2/r to find the radius of the circle. We know that the speed is constant, so we can set the magnitudes of the accelerations at t1 and t2 equal to each other.

a1 = a2
√61 = v^2/r

We also know that the period (T) is more than 1.00 s, so we can use the equation T=(2∏r)/v to find the radius.

T=(2∏r)/v
r = (Tv)/(2∏)

Substituting this into our previous equation, we get:

√61 = v^2/[(2∏)(Tv)/(2∏)]
√61 = v

Now, we can use the given information about the period to solve for the velocity.

T = (2∏r)/v
1.00 s < T < ∞
1.00 s < (2∏r)/v < ∞
1.00 s < (2∏r)/√61 < ∞

We can see that the value for (2∏r)/√61 must be greater than 1.00 s, so we can set this as a lower bound for the velocity.

1.00 s < (2∏r)/√61

Rearranging this equation, we get:

√61 < (2∏r)/1.00 s

Now, we can use the given information about the accelerations at t1

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion refers to the motion of an object that moves in a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object travels the same distance in the same amount of time, making it a type of linear motion. An example of this is the motion of a planet around the sun.

2. What is a particle problem in uniform circular motion?

A particle problem in uniform circular motion involves analyzing the motion of a single point or particle moving in a circular path at a constant speed. This type of problem typically involves finding the position, velocity, and acceleration of the particle at a given time.

3. How do you find the acceleration in a uniform circular motion particle problem?

The acceleration in a uniform circular motion particle problem can be found using the formula a = v^2/r, where v is the speed of the particle and r is the radius of the circular path. This is known as centripetal acceleration, which is always directed towards the center of the circle.

4. What is the difference between tangential speed and angular speed in uniform circular motion?

Tangential speed refers to the speed of the particle along the circular path, while angular speed refers to the rate at which the particle rotates around the center of the circle. Tangential speed is measured in units of distance per time (e.g. meters per second), while angular speed is measured in units of angle per time (e.g. radians per second).

5. How do you solve a uniform circular motion particle problem?

To solve a uniform circular motion particle problem, you can use the equations of motion, such as v = rω for tangential speed and a = v^2/r for centripetal acceleration. It is also important to draw a diagram and identify the given information, such as the radius and speed of the particle, and use trigonometry to find any missing values. Finally, plug the values into the appropriate equations to solve for the unknowns.