Uniform continuity in top. spaces

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of uniform continuity in metric spaces and whether it can be extended to general topological spaces. It is noted that in order to do this, one would need some additional structure, such as a uniform space. It is also mentioned that a single topological space can correspond to multiple uniform spaces. Additionally, it is clarified that if a space is metrizable, its metric is equivalent to its uniformity. However, different metrics can still yield the same uniformity.
Bleys
So my teacher said that uniform continuity was a metric space notion, not a topological space one. At first it seemed obvious, since there is no "distance" function in general topological spaces. But then I remembered that you can generalize point-wise continuity in general topologies, so why not uniform continuity? I'm probably wrong; I wouldn't know the details to construct such a definition, but I know that Hausdorff spaces behave similarly to metric spaces (being Hausdorff themselves) in some respects, so maybe it would be possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
The definition of a continuous function from a topological space X to a topological space Y is that the inverse image of an open set in Y is an open set in X. This agrees with the epsilon delta definition of continuity for a metric space.

In a metric space, the idea of uniform continuity is that for a given epsilon, for any point in the domain you can pick the same size delta ball and the function will map into an epsilon ball around the image of that point. So if you wanted to extend this idea to a general topological space, you would need some notion of open sets around different points being of a comparable size. To do this you need some additional structure, and this is the idea of a uniform space: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_space

There is a more general type of space, called uniform space ... As with the metric case, a single toplogical space may correspond to many different uniform spaces.

Just to add the side statement that if the space is metrizable, then the
metric coincides with its uniformity.

To contradict Bacle, two different metrics may yield the same uniformity.
For example, in the real line, take distance |x-y| in one case, and distance 2|x-y| in the other case.

Right, my bad. Up to equivalent metrics.

What is uniform continuity?

Uniform continuity is a type of continuity in mathematics that is defined for functions between metric spaces. It means that for any given distance, there is a corresponding distance such that any points within that distance of each other have images within a certain distance of each other.

How does uniform continuity differ from pointwise continuity?

Pointwise continuity only requires that for any given point, the function values around that point are within a certain distance of the function value at that point. Uniform continuity, on the other hand, requires that the function values are close to each other for any two points within a certain distance of each other.

Why is uniform continuity important in topological spaces?

Uniform continuity is important in topological spaces because it allows us to make general statements about the behavior of functions in these spaces. It is a key concept in the study of topological maps and continuous functions, and it helps us understand the structure and properties of these spaces.

Are all continuous functions uniformly continuous?

No, not all continuous functions are uniformly continuous. While all uniformly continuous functions are continuous, the converse is not true. There are examples of continuous functions that are not uniformly continuous, such as the function f(x) = 1/x on the interval (0,1).

How is uniform continuity related to Cauchy sequences?

Uniform continuity is closely related to Cauchy sequences, as it ensures that a function can map Cauchy sequences in the domain to Cauchy sequences in the range. This is important because it allows us to preserve the convergence of sequences when mapping between topological spaces.