1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform continuity

1. Jan 28, 2009 #1
    Hi,
    This may sound lame but I am not able to get the definition of uniform continuous functions past my head.

by definition:
    A function f with domain D is called uniformly continuous on the domain D if for any eta > 0 there exists a delta > 0 such that: if s, t D and | s - t | < delta then | f(s) - f(t) | < eta. Click here for a graphical explanation.

I can just choose "delta" that is a large number that will make any 2 points on the curve satisfy this condition. 1/x would be uniform continuous if I simply choose a large enough delta.

moreover, what is the utility and application of uniform continuous fynctions?

thanks,
    Sam

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2009 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think what you're missing is that in the definition, the part that says

"if s, t D and | s - t | < delta then | f(s) - f(t) | < eta"

actually means

"if for all s,t in D such that |s-t|<delta, we have | f(s) - f(t) | < eta."

So it does not suffice that you can find two points of D a distance less than delta apart that satisfy | f(s) - f(t) | < eta, but rather, the definition is saying that all the points in D that are a distance less than delta apart must satisfy | f(s) - f(t) | < eta !

4. Jan 28, 2009 #3

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

For starters, in order to prove that the Darboux integral is defined for any continuous function on a closed interval, Cantors theorem - which states that a continuous function on a closed interval is uniformly continuous - is used and then the uniform continuity is used to prove that the integral is defined.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?