Uniform Convergence: Find Domain of Intervals (a,b)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
kidsmoker
Messages
85
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Consider

[tex]f(x)=\sum\frac{1}{n(1+nx^{2})}[/tex]

from n=1 to n=infinity.

On what intervals of the form (a,b) does the series converge uniformly? On what intervals of the form (a,b) does the series fail to converge uniformly?


Homework Equations



Weierstrass M-test: If there exists numbers [tex]M_{r}[/tex] for each [tex]f_{r}(x)[/tex] such that [tex]f_{r}(x) \leq M_{r}[/tex] and

[tex]\sum M_{r}[/tex]

converges, then [tex]\sum f_{r}[/tex] converges uniformly.

The Attempt at a Solution



Write

[tex]f_{r}(x)=\frac{1}{r(1+rx^{2})}[/tex] .

If i just consider the case where x>1 then

[tex]\frac{1}{r(1+rx^{2})} \leq \frac{1}{r^{2}x^{2}} \leq \frac{1}{r^{2}}[/tex]

so let

[tex]M_{r}=\frac{1}{r^{2}}[/tex]

and the sum of this from r=1 to r=infinity converges. So

[tex]\sum f_{r}[/tex]

converges uniformly for x>1? Or am I misunderstanding the M-test?

But then say I went with x>0.5 instead of x>1. I could then choose

[tex]M_{r}=\frac{2}{r^{2}}[/tex]

to get uniform convergence for x>0.5? etc etc

So what's the required domain? I'm really confused :-(
 
Physics news on Phys.org
kidsmoker said:
But then say I went with x>0.5 instead of x>1. I could then choose

[tex]M_{r}=\frac{2}{r^{2}}[/tex]

to get uniform convergence for x>0.5? etc etc

So what's the required domain? I'm really confused :-(

That's exactly correct if you just use M = 4/r^2 instead. How about uniform convergence for x>a where a is an arbitrary positive real number? You can generalise your answer easily. Then there's only one real number you're leaving out, and it turns out that the series does not converge there.