Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform Convergence of Power Series

1. Sep 21, 2012 #1
    Given a power series [itex]\sum a_n x^n[/itex] with radius of convergence [itex]R[/itex], it seems that the series converges uniformly on any compact set contained in the disc of radius [itex]R[/itex]. This might be a silly question, but what's an example of a power series that doesn't actually also converge uniformly on the whole open disc of radius [itex]R[/itex]? I am assuming uniform convergence on all compact subsets does not imply uniform convergence on the whole open disc?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Consider the Taylor expansion of [itex]f(x)=\tan(x)[/itex]. This has a radius of convergence of [itex]\pi/2[/itex]. But the series cannot converge uniformly on the entire disk [itex]]-\pi/2,\pi/2[[/itex]. Indeed, it is a theorem that the uniform limit of bounded functions is bounded. Clearly, [itex]\tan(x)[/itex] isn't bounded.

4. Sep 21, 2012 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Another easy example:
    [tex]\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} x^n = \frac{1}{1 - x}[/tex]
    for [itex]|x| < 1[/itex]. This is clearly unbounded as [itex]x[/itex] approaches 1.

5. Sep 21, 2012 #4

Mute

Homework Helper

Hm. If I recall correctly from my Complex variables class years ago, the geometric series actually is uniformly convergent on ##|z| < 1##. However, it is not uniformly convergent on ##|z| \leq 1##.

Do I remember incorrectly?

6. Sep 21, 2012 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The partial sums are
    [tex]s_N(x) = \sum_{n = 0}^{N-1}x^n = \frac{1 - x^{N}}{1 - x}[/tex]
    The limit is
    [tex]s(x) = \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}x^n = \frac{1}{1 - x}[/tex]
    So
    [tex]s(x) - s_N(x) = \frac{x^N}{1 - x}[/tex]
    This is the error in approximating the series by the N'th partial sum. For any fixed N, this error is arbitrarily large as [itex]x \rightarrow 1[/itex]. If the convergence were uniform, we would be able to uniformly bound the error as small as we like by making N large enough.

I think what you are remembering is that the convergence is uniform on [itex]|z| \leq R[/itex] for any positive [itex]R < 1[/itex].

7. Sep 22, 2012 #6
    Thank you. This makes a lot of sense.

8. Sep 23, 2012 #7

Mute

Homework Helper

Yes, that's probably the result I was thinking of.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook