1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform, non-zero electric field

1. Apr 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

At x = 1.00 m, the voltage is 4.00 V. At x = 3.00 m, the voltage is also 4.00 V. Assuming that there is a steady, uniform non-zero electric field over this entire region, give four possible directions of that electric field.

2. Relevant equations

E = (delta V)/d
    Ue = qV
    (the electric potential = charge * voltage)

I'm not entirely sure, these are just the ones that sort of relate the electric field with voltage.

3. The attempt at a solution

For these charges to have an equal voltage in the electric field, the force of the electric field * the distance between either charge and one of the plates should = 0 (from the first equation above), so anywhere in the field where they are at the same y coordinate (in line with each other), they should have the same voltage. This gives me two directions for the field- it can point up or down (switching the positive and negative plates) and the voltages could be the same:

- - - - - - - -
    ____________ <-- negative plate

^ ^ ^ ^ <---direction 1
    --(1m)----(3m)------------------->x axis
    ____________ <-- positive plate
    + + + + + + +

and if you switch the negative and positive plates, the field points down, my second direction, but I don't see how you could have two additional directions, so perhaps I am thinking about this wrong. Any insight would be great! thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi A_lilah! :smile:

(have a delta: ∆ :wink:)

Hint: if a uniform electric field is North, where are the lines (or surfaces) of equal voltage (equal electric potental)? :smile:

4. Apr 12, 2010 #3
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by north~ do you mean pointing upwards? The equipotential lines are perpendicular to the electric field lines...

5. Apr 12, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's right. :smile:

So …
    :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook