Uniform Rope Mechanics Problem: Finding Tension at a Distance x | Explained

• Thread starter torquerotates
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the tension in the rope is the total force minus the force needed to accelerate the length of the rope in front of it.

Homework Statement

A uniform rope of mass m and length L is attached to a block of mass M. The rope is pulled with force F. Find the tension at a distance x from the end of the rope.

Homework Equations

T(total)=Ma, F-T(total)=ma & T(total)/L=T(x)/x

The Attempt at a Solution

T(total)=Ma, F-T(total)=ma => T(total)=(MF)/(1+mM)

This is the part I'm confused about. I assumed the following proportion. T(total)/L=T(x)/x
This implies, T(x)=(T(total)/L)x= (M/(L(mM+1)))x

Am I right in my reasoning?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm. I think my answer is different from yours, and I am not sure about your reasoning. I don't think you can assume that proportion.

Start the problem by considering the force at a point x. This force, T(x), is the total force, F, minus the force needed to accelerate the length of rope in front of it. What is this force needed to accelerate the segment of rope before point x?

HINT: You are going to need to use the mass per unit length of the rope, m/L.

Also, you will end up with a factor of "a', the acceleration? How can you express this in terms of F, m, and M?

HINT: Consider the motion of the box.

torquerotates said:
Relevant equations[/b] T(total)=Ma, F-T(total)=ma & T(total)/L=T(x)/x

Hi torquerotates! :smile:

There's no such thing as total tension.

You can't add tension as if you were adding mass or forces.

The tension varies along the rope. It has an average, but not a total.

Hint: divide the problem into two sections:
i) the block plus part of the rope
ii) the rest of the rope.

Apply good ol' Newton's second law to i) and ii) combined, and to i) and ii) separately. :smile:

1. What is a simple mechanics problem?

A simple mechanics problem is a type of problem that involves the study of motion and forces, and can be solved using basic principles and equations of mechanics.

2. How do you approach solving a simple mechanics problem?

The first step in solving a simple mechanics problem is to clearly define the problem and determine what is known and what is unknown. Then, you can apply the relevant equations and principles to find the solution.

3. What are some common examples of simple mechanics problems?

Some common examples of simple mechanics problems include free fall, projectile motion, and objects on inclines.

4. What are the key principles of mechanics that are used to solve simple mechanics problems?

The key principles of mechanics used in solving simple mechanics problems include Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy, and conservation of momentum.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for simple mechanics problems?

To improve your problem-solving skills for simple mechanics problems, it is important to practice solving different types of problems and to have a strong understanding of the relevant principles and equations. Additionally, breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps can help make it easier to solve.

Suggested for: Uniform Rope Mechanics Problem: Finding Tension at a Distance x | Explained

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views