Can a function be uniformly continuous without being continuous? Help needed!

• Thread starter sergey_le
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuous
In summary: I just tagged this person because I answered a question of him that uses the same proof technique and thus the answer to this question may benefit him as well.
sergey_le
Homework Statement
Prove that if for any two sequences (xn), (yn) Which are sustained lim(yn-xn)=0 Happening
limf(yn)-f(xn)=0, Then f is uniformly continuous at R (hint: Use proof of Heine–Cantor theorem)
Relevant Equations
Heine–Cantor theorem
The first thing I thought about doing was to prove that f is continuous using the Heine–Cantor theorem proof.
But I do not know at all whether it is possible to prove with the data that I have continuous.
I would love to get help.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What is Heine-Cantor's theorem?

Math_QED said:
What is Heine-Cantor's theorem?
I meant a tease sentence that says if f is continuous in a closed section then f uniformly continuous .

sergey_le said:
I meant a tease sentence that says if f is continuous in a closed section then f uniformly continuous .

This is wrong. You should replace "closed" with "compact". Because ##f: \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}: x \mapsto x^2## is continuous on ##\mathbb{R}## and not uniformly continuous, while ##\mathbb{R}## is closed in itself.

But anyway, even if you correct that statement, I see no way to use it. I also don't understand what the word sustained does in your problem statement. The following is the correct English wording. Correct me if I'm missing something (you can relax the domains and codomains, the statement remains true in arbitrary metric spaces).

Let ##f: \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}## be a function such that for all sequences ##(x_n)_n, (y_n)_n## with ##\lim_n (x_n-y_n)=0## we have ##\lim_n(f(x_n)-f(y_n))= 0##. Then ##f## is uniformly continuous.

Here is how I would proceed. I answered a similar post this morning of @Math Amateur , so this may be interesting for him as well.

We use the contrapositive of the statement. That is, if ##f## is NOT uniformly continuous, we prove that there are sequences ##(x_n)_n, (y_n)_n## such that ##\lim_n (x_n-y_n)=0## and ##\lim_n (f(x_n)-f(y_n))\neq 0##.

Because ##f## is not uniformly continuous, we have (make sure you understand this!):
$$\exists \epsilon > 0: \forall \delta > 0: \exists x,y \in \mathbb{R}: |x-y|< \delta \land |f(x)-f(y)| \geq \epsilon$$

Fix an ##\epsilon > 0## as above. Consider the sequence ##\delta_n:= 1/n, n \geq 1##. Then we can find corresponding sequences ##(x_n)_n, (y_n)_n## such that ##|x_n-y_n| < \delta_n## and ##|f(x_n)-f(y_n)| \geq \epsilon## for all ##n \geq 1##.

Letting ##n \to \infty##, we see that ##\lim_n (x_n-y_n)=0## while ##\lim_n (f(x_n)-f(y_n)) \neq 0## and we are done!

Likes sergey_le and PeroK
Math_QED said:
This is wrong. You should replace "closed" with "compact". Because ##f: \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}: x \mapsto x^2## is continuous on ##\mathbb{R}## and not uniformly continuous, while ##\mathbb{R}## is closed in itself.

But anyway, even if you correct that statement, I see no way to use it. I also don't understand what the word sustained does in your problem statement. The following is the correct English wording. Correct me if I'm missing something (you can relax the domains and codomains, the statement remains true in arbitrary metric spaces).

Let ##f: \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}## be a function such that for all sequences ##(x_n)_n, (y_n)_n## with ##\lim_n (x_n-y_n)=0## we have ##\lim_n(f(x_n)-f(y_n))= 0##. Then ##f## is uniformly continuous.

Here is how I would proceed. I answered a similar post this morning of @Math Amateur , so this may be interesting for him as well.

We use the contrapositive of the statement. That is, if ##f## is NOT uniformly continuous, we prove that there are sequences ##(x_n)_n, (y_n)_n## such that ##\lim_n (x_n-y_n)=0## and ##\lim_n (f(x_n)-f(y_n))\neq 0##.

Because ##f## is not uniformly continuous, we have (make sure you understand this!):
$$\exists \epsilon > 0: \forall \delta > 0: \exists x,y \in \mathbb{R}: |x-y|< \delta \land |f(x)-f(y)| \geq \epsilon$$

Fix an ##\epsilon > 0## as above. Consider the sequence ##\delta_n:= 1/n, n \geq 1##. Then we can find corresponding sequences ##(x_n)_n, (y_n)_n## such that ##|x_n-y_n| < \delta_n## and ##|f(x_n)-f(y_n)| \geq \epsilon## for all ##n \geq 1##.

Letting ##n \to \infty##, we see that ##\lim_n (x_n-y_n)=0## while ##\lim_n (f(x_n)-f(y_n)) \neq 0## and we are done!
Yes you understood my question right.
My English is not good and I translate my English as closely as I can.
It will take me some time to learn how to correctly write the correct terms in English.
So I guess you want me to ask the guy who tagged how to solve it?
By the way thank you very much for your patience :)

sergey_le said:
Yes you understood my question right.
My English is not good and I translate my English as closely as I can.
It will take me some time to learn how to correctly write the correct terms in English.
So I guess you want me to ask the guy who tagged how to solve it?
By the way thank you very much for your patience :)

No, I gave you a proof. I suggest you take some time to understand all stems involved.

I just tagged this person because I answered a question of him that uses the same proof technique and thus the answer to this question may benefit him as well.

Math_QED said:

Thank you.
And thank you for correcting my English.

1. What is the definition of uniform continuity?

Uniform continuity is a mathematical concept that describes the idea of a function having a consistent rate of change over its entire domain. In other words, for any chosen interval on the graph of the function, the change in the output values is always proportional to the change in the input values.

2. How does uniform continuity differ from continuity?

While both continuity and uniform continuity describe the behavior of a function, they differ in their definitions. Continuity refers to the lack of any sudden jumps or breaks in the graph of a function, while uniform continuity specifically refers to the function's rate of change being consistent over its entire domain.

3. What is the importance of uniform continuity in mathematics?

Uniform continuity is an essential concept in mathematics as it helps us understand the behavior of functions and their limits. It also allows us to prove the existence of certain mathematical objects and helps in the development of calculus and other advanced mathematical theories.

4. How is uniform continuity related to differentiability?

Uniform continuity is a necessary but not sufficient condition for differentiability. This means that if a function is uniformly continuous, it may or may not be differentiable. However, if a function is differentiable, it must be uniformly continuous.

5. What are some examples of functions that are uniformly continuous?

Some common examples of uniformly continuous functions include linear functions, trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine, and polynomial functions. However, not all functions are uniformly continuous, such as the Dirichlet function and the absolute value function.