Proving Uniform Continuity of f+g with Triangle Inequality

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
sergey_le
Messages
77
Reaction score
15
Homework Statement
I didn't understand what I was supposed to write here
Relevant Equations
I didn't understand what I was supposed to write here
I came across the following question:
If g and f are uniform continuity functions In section I, then f + g uniform continuity In section I.
I was able to prove it with the help Triangle Inequality .
But I thought what would happen if they asked the same question for f-g
I'm sorry if my English isn't good and you don't understand me
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing should change to your proof. Check that up to minor modifications the same proof still works.

Alternatively, if you have proven that if ##f,g## is uniformly continuous, then also ##f+g## you can proceed as follows.

Show that ##h:= -g## is uniformly continuous (this will follow because ##|-x| = |x| \forall x \in \mathbb{R}## if you do the proof) and then you can apply what you already proved: ##f+h = f-g## will be uniformly continuous.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sergey_le
sergey_le said:
thank you

Welcome to physicsforums btw! Hope you have a good time here.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sergey_le