Uninterested in my research how do I handle it?

• Thread starter Physics_UG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, the speaker is currently in an EE PhD program but is feeling uninterested in their research field. They are considering switching research groups but are worried about losing funding or upsetting their advisor. They are seeking advice on how to handle this situation.
Physics_UG
Gold Member
So I have been in an EE PhD program for about 7 months and I am feeling uninterested in my current research field. I think I could be much more productive if I had a passion for my research. I am considering switching research groups. How should I go about this in a tactful way without losing funding or getting my advisor upset? Should I bring my concerns to my advisor's attention now or should I find a different professor first and then talk to my current advisor? How do you think I should handle this difficult situation?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Switch to astronomy :0

Thanks but I'd prefer to stay within the realm of EE.

Don't worry about 'upsetting' people. If you're not happy, then chat to your supervisor about it.

1. What should I do if my audience seems uninterested in my research?

If your audience seems uninterested in your research, it is important to stay calm and not take it personally. Remember that not everyone may share your passion and enthusiasm for your topic. Take a moment to assess the situation and try to engage your audience by asking questions, using visual aids, and making your presentation interactive.

2. How can I make my research more interesting for my audience?

To make your research more interesting for your audience, try to find ways to connect your research to their interests or daily lives. Use real-life examples, stories, and anecdotes to make your research more relatable. You can also use multimedia elements such as videos, images, or graphs to make your presentation more visually appealing.

3. Should I change my research to cater to my audience's interests?

No, you should not change your research to cater to your audience's interests. Your research is based on your expertise and interests, and it is important to stay true to your topic. However, you can find ways to make your research more relevant and interesting for your audience without compromising the integrity of your work.

4. How can I keep my audience engaged throughout my presentation?

To keep your audience engaged throughout your presentation, it is important to vary your delivery and keep your presentation dynamic. Use a mix of storytelling, data, and visuals to keep your audience interested. You can also break up your presentation into smaller sections and include breaks for questions and discussions to keep your audience engaged.

5. What should I do if my audience continues to show no interest in my research?

If your audience continues to show no interest in your research, it may be helpful to seek feedback and advice from other researchers or colleagues. They may have suggestions on how to improve your presentation or make your research more appealing to a wider audience. It is also important to remember that not everyone will be interested in your research, and that's okay. Keep focusing on your work and presenting it to those who do appreciate it.