1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unique to within a constant factor?

1. Sep 21, 2007 #1

cks

unique to within a constant factor???

we always listen to the phrase in quantum mechanics textbook that says this eigenvector is unique to within a constant factor.

What does it actually mean?

unique means there is one and only one??
    constant factor: a constant 2 or 3 or... maybe??

I don't really catch the physical picture of it, I just hope for some mathematical examples that can illustrate this. Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2007 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, suppose that [tex]\left| a \rangle[/tex] is an eigenvector to an operator  with eigenvalue [itex]a[/itex], that is:
    [tex]\hat A \left| a \rangle = a \left| a \rangle[/tex].
    Then of course, since scalars commute with any operator,
    [tex]\hat A \left( \lambda \left| a \rangle \right) =
    \lambda \left( \hat A \left| a \rangle \right) = \lambda \left( a \left| a \rangle \right) =
    a \left( \lambda \left| a \rangle \right)[/tex].
    So as you see, [tex]\lambda \left| a \rangle[/tex] is also an eigenvector for the same eigenvalue, for any (complex) number lambda. But other than that, the eigenvector is really unique, that is, if
    [tex]\hat A \left| a' \rangle = a \left| a' \rangle[/tex]
    then |a'> cannot be anything different than a multiple of |a>.

This is what is meant by "unique up to a constant factor", which is enough since in QM, the pre-factor doesn't carry any physical meaning anyway (we normally just use it for convenience, e.g. to normalize eigenkets).

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  4. Sep 21, 2007 #3

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is a complex (global-)phase: exp(i*phi), cos' we deal with complex numbers. And as convention we often we often taken phi = 0, so exp(i phi) = 1.

Is that what you looked for? You can see an example of this in Sakurai "modern QM" chapter 1 in discussion of Sx and Sy and their eigen-vectors.

5. Sep 21, 2007 #4

cks

Thank you CompuChip,

I understand now. Really appreciate that.

6. Sep 22, 2007 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

quote: >>the pre-factor doesn't carry any physical meaning anyway (we normally just use it for convenience, e.g. to normalize eigenkets).<<

Actually this phase freedom of vectors is of crucial importance when it comes to describing symmetries in QM.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?