1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniqueness - exact differential equation

1. May 21, 2013 #1
    Hi folks! This one got me in doubts...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve IVP (Initial Value Problem): [itex](2xy+sin(x))dx+(x^{2}+1)dy=0, y(0)=2[/itex]

Is the solution unique? Motivate why!

2. Relevant equations

Relevant equations for solving the exact equation...

3. The attempt at a solution

I can solve this without any trouble. Since the answer is an implicit solution, I get:

[itex]F(x,y)=x^{2}y-cos(x)+y= C [/itex]

Putting in the IVP value I get for y:

[itex]y(x)=\frac{1+cos(x)}{x^{2}+1}[/itex]

Now, to the question, is this solution unique? Why? Why not? And how does it relate to implicit solutions (here, exact differential equation)?

What about if this IVP was a separable, or a linear differential equation?

I am thankful for any hints, because this one got me really thinking...

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. May 21, 2013 #3
    Thank you LCKurtz for the fast reply! I have studied the sheet, as I have with my coursebook, but didn't get any smarter. Here's where I don't get it:

Yes, the paper says and explains clearly why there is y(0)≠0 gets no solution. But how does this applies to this particular equation, meaning, which first gives an implicit solution? Or does explicit/implicit not matter here?

I get a solution to this exact differential equation, even though the paper says I shouldn't get one. Or am I misreading this entirely?

Thanks for your help!

5. May 21, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you figured out what ##f(x,y)## is in your equation and checked the hypotheses of the uniqueness theorem against it?

6. May 21, 2013 #5
    [itex]dF/dy=\frac{-2x}{x^{2}+1}[/itex]

So you are saying that the "test" against the hypotheses of uniqueness states the fact, independent whether the differential equation (IVP) has any solution - as it does in this case?

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  7. May 21, 2013 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That link I gave you has both an existence and uniqueness theorem. If a function satisfies the hypotheses of the uniqueness theorem, doesn't it automatically satisfy those for the existence theorem? So if your ##f(x,y)## satisfies the hypotheses of the uniqueness theorem, then it has a solution and it is unique. Does your ##f(x,y)## satisfy the hypotheses? That is your only question. You hardly need the existence theorem given that you already have a solution.

8. May 22, 2013 #7
    Thanks for your effort!

However I am still confused with this, especially with implicit solutions.

As a last try, let me rephrase my question:

The paper says: "no solution if x0=0 and y0≠0." . But here, I do have a solution for the differential equation. Maybe that last summary is irrelevant if I have this single solution.

9. May 22, 2013 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They are talking about their equation. You need to check the theorems for your equation. And whether or not a solution exists has nothing to do with whether you have an explicit or implicit formula.

10. May 22, 2013 #9
    Whoops!
    So let me try it out in this case, and please correct me if I am wrong:

[itex]dy/dx=-\frac{(2xy+sin(x))}{x^{2}+1}[/itex]

is 0 for x=0, y=2.

[itex]dF/dy=-\frac{(2x)}{x^{2}+1}[/itex]

is 0 for x=0, y=2. However, this still means that the solution is unique, because both functions are continuous and defined near x=0, y=2. Meaning, the solution exists, and it is unique.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  11. May 22, 2013 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, the first thing you should have done, after writing the equation as
    [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{2xy+ sin(x)}{x^2+ 1}[/tex]
    is recognize that the denominator is never 0 and so the function is continuous for all x. Since the derivative, using the quotient rule will just have the square of [itex]x^2+ 1[/itex] in the denominator, it is still never 0 and so the derivative is continuous for all x.

12. May 22, 2013 #11
    Thanks to both of you for your hints and guidance!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted