Unit Cell Problem: Find Volume Unoccupied | Help Solving Entrance Exam Question

In summary, the fraction of volume unoccupied in the unit cell of the body centered cubics lattice is?
astrophysics12

Homework Statement

The fraction of volume unoccupied in the unit cell of the body centered cubics lattice is?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the volume occupied by the atoms as (8/3)πr3. I am not sure if it is right. I just assumed that all the atoms were of same element.
I also don't know about the dimensions of the cube.
Can somebody help me? It is from an old entrance exam question paper.

Physics news on Phys.org
astrophysics12 said:

Homework Statement

The fraction of volume unoccupied in the unit cell of the body centered cubics lattice is?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the volume occupied by the atoms as (8/3)πr3. I am not sure if it is right. I just assumed that all the atoms were of same element.
Can somebody help me? It is from an old entrance exam question paper.
What is r in your result, and how did you get that formula?
The problem asks the fraction of volume unoccupied. What do you think it means?

ehild

I got the volume occupied by the atoms as (8/3)πr3

You should show/explain your working but I believe that's correct (if r is the radius of the atom).

Assume the atoms are spherical and touching the one in the middle. eg so the diagonal of the cube is 4r.

ehild said:
What is r in your result, and how did you get that formula?
The problem asks the fraction of volume unoccupied. What do you think it means?

ehild
r is the radius of the atom.
Volume unoccupied is the free volume. It is the difference between total volume of cubic cell and the volume occupied by the atoms. Am I right?

CWatters said:
You should show/explain your working but I believe that's correct (if r is the radius of the atom).
Assume the atoms are spherical and touching the one in the middle. eg so the diagonal of the cube is 4r.
Thanks. The side should be 4/√3

CWatters said:
... Assume the atoms are spherical and touching the one in the middle. eg so the diagonal of the cube is 4r.

yes. Although the OP should also check that the corner spheres do not overlap with each other in this case. (Maybe it is intuitively clear to some people, but I need to check these things with pen and paper, to convince myself).

astrophysics12 said:
Thanks. The side should be 4/√3
looks good. but there is an 'r' missing from here. Anyway, keep going, you have the unit cell sides and the occupied volume, so you are pretty close to the final answer now.

astrophysics12 said:
r is the radius of the atom.
Volume unoccupied is the free volume. It is the difference between total volume of cubic cell and the volume occupied by the atoms. Am I right?
Correct so far.
You need the ratio of the unoccupied volume to the whole volume of the unit cell. You got that the occupied volume is 8pi/3 r3, and the side of the cubic unit cell is 4r/√3.

ehild

Related to Unit Cell Problem: Find Volume Unoccupied | Help Solving Entrance Exam Question

1. What is a unit cell problem?

A unit cell problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the volume of unoccupied space within a unit cell. This is commonly seen in entrance exams for scientific fields.

2. How is the volume of unoccupied space within a unit cell calculated?

The volume of unoccupied space within a unit cell is calculated by subtracting the volume of all the atoms or molecules within the unit cell from the total volume of the unit cell.

3. What is the significance of unit cell problems in science?

Unit cell problems are important in science because they allow scientists to understand the arrangement and spacing of atoms or molecules within a solid material. This information is crucial for understanding the properties and behavior of materials.

4. Are there any specific formulas or equations used to solve unit cell problems?

Yes, there are specific formulas and equations used to solve unit cell problems. These include the formula for calculating the volume of a unit cell, as well as equations for finding the number of atoms or molecules within a unit cell.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving unit cell problems?

The best way to improve your skills in solving unit cell problems is through practice and understanding the underlying concepts. Familiarize yourself with the different types of unit cells and their corresponding formulas, and try solving various problems to build your problem-solving skills.