Max Packing Fraction of Hexagonal Unit Cell Volume w/ Hard Spheres

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
0 replies · 3K views
Science Advisor
Messages
6,735
Reaction score
2,438

Homework Statement



Calculate the maximum packing fraction of the unit cell volume that can be filled by hard spheres in the Hexagonal structure

Relevant eq: Volume of spheres is number of lattice points multiplied with the maximum volume of one sphere.

The Attempt at a Solution



I know maxium is obtained when c = a i.e when height of the cell is as high as one of the sides in the hexagon. Hence, maximum sphere radius is a/2 (I have shown geometrically that the spheres can touch each other).

Now I am to determine the number of lattice points in this structure, I know that one primitive cell contains totally one lattice point, and a unit cell of a hexagonal structure can be made up by exactly three primitve cells, so the number of lattice points is 3. Is that the correct way to do this?

The rest I can figure out by my self, just are unsure how to determine the number of lattice points.