Unit confusion; RPM and Strokes per minute.

In summary, the question is whether angular velocity can be calculated through strokes per minute in a reciprocating saw, and if RPM and SPM are the same in this case. The product is a reciprocating saw (not orbital). The user is unsure of the mechanism and gear ratios involved in converting the motor's rotation to the saw blade's reciprocating motion.
TheRB4891
I know power = Torque x angular velocity (rad/s) AND
I am wondering if angular velocity can be calculated through strokes per minute?

The product is a reciprocating saw (not orbital).

In this case are RPM's the same as SPM'S?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
TheRB4891 said:
I know power = Torque x angular velocity (rad/s) AND
I am wondering if angular velocity can be calculated through strokes per minute?

The product is a reciprocating saw (not orbital).

In this case are RPM's the same as SPM'S?

Thanks

Welcome to the PF.

Do you know what the mechanism looks like to convert the spinning motor shaft into the reciprocating motion of the saw blade? Is there any gearing involved?

I must plead "noob" on this subject if I'm honest, i mean yes there is gearing but i don't have the ratio's, this is the exploded view of the saw i am analysing.

http://www.makitauk.com/shop/parts/partdrawings.asp?groupid=2125&model=BJR181RFE3&fromItemInfo=1

1. What is the difference between RPM and Strokes per minute?

RPM stands for revolutions per minute, which is a measure of how many times an object completes a full revolution in one minute. Strokes per minute, on the other hand, is a measure of how many times an object moves back and forth in one minute. RPM is used to measure rotational speed, while strokes per minute is used to measure oscillatory motion.

2. Can RPM and strokes per minute be converted to each other?

Yes, they can be converted. To convert from RPM to strokes per minute, simply multiply the RPM value by the number of strokes per revolution. To convert from strokes per minute to RPM, divide the strokes per minute value by the number of strokes per revolution.

3. What is the standard unit of measurement for RPM and strokes per minute?

The standard unit for both RPM and strokes per minute is "per minute" (min^-1). However, RPM can also be expressed in revolutions per second (rev/s), while strokes per minute can also be expressed in strokes per second (sps).

4. Can RPM and strokes per minute be used interchangeably?

No, RPM and strokes per minute are not interchangeable. They measure different types of motion and have different units of measurement. It is important to use the correct unit and measure for the specific type of motion being measured.

5. How do I convert from RPM to other units of measurement?

To convert from RPM to other units such as radians per second or hertz, you can use conversion factors. For example, to convert from RPM to radians per second, multiply the RPM value by (2π/60). To convert from RPM to hertz, divide the RPM value by 60.