1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unit Conversion - Flux Densities

1. Mar 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to convert from a fv in units of Jy to fλ in units of erg s^-1 cm ^-2 A^-1

fv = 1.0254e-2 Jy

2. Relevant equations
    fv dv = fλ dλ
    fλ = fv dv/dλ
    and because v = c/λ...

fλ = fv*c / λ^2

Also 1 Jy = 10^-23 erg cm^-2 s^-1 Hz ^-1
    3. The attempt at a solution

fλ = [(1.0254e-2 Jy)(10^-23 erg cm^-2 s^-1 Hz ^-1) (3e10 cm/s)(1A/10^-8 cm)] / [1 A^2]

*note: A = angstrom units

my final answer was fλ = 3.0762e-7 erg s^-1 cm^-2 A^-1

But I checked my answer on an online converter and it was wrong, but I don't know why because all my units cancelled out correctly.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2014 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

You have done the conversion as though your given fv was measured at a wavelength of 1A. I doubt this is the case. When you put in the c/λ^2 factor, you need to do it at the wavelength (frequency) of the measurement. Was this given?

4. Mar 10, 2014 #3
    The first part of the question had us convert a magnitude (12) into fv given a zero point for the magnitude system (fv=647 Jy). So I used m-m0 = -2.5 (f/f0) to solve for f where m0 = 0 and f0 = 647 Jy and m =12. This gave a value of fv = 1.0254e-2 Jy. Then we just have to convert that value into fλ

Here's the question as it appears on the assignment:
    Given that the zeropoint of the magnitude system is fv=647 Jy. Find the flux density of a 12th magnitude star in Janskeys (which is in fv) and then convert it to fλ (in units of ergs^-1cm^-2A^-1)(ignore any minus signs in the conversion).

That's all the information I have.

5. Mar 10, 2014 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Well, I may be wrong, but I think you have to assume some wavelength to do the conversion. If they are visible magnitudes, I would use the center of the V band, which is at 0.55 μm.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted