Unit Conversion of Flux: Jansky to Erg/s/cm²/Å - Simplified Guide

In summary, a student is struggling to convert units between Janskys and Angstroms. He finds that he needs to use a factor of ν^2 or λ^2 in the denominator for either direction of conversion, depending on which direction the flux is increasing in. He finds that using the simple λv = c equations does not work properly. A web site with more detail is listed.
Astro Student
Hello,

I am struggling a little bit with what I believe to be a simple unit conversion. For this problem, I have many fluxes given in units of Janskys. I would like to convert them from their original units of

Jy = 10-23 erg s-1 cm-2 Hz-1

to units of

erg s-1 cm-2 Angstrom-1

When I try to do a conversion using the simple λv = c equations, the units do not work out properly. I assume there is some sort of integral I must take?

Thanks,

Astro Student

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to realize that since λ ν = c, this means that λ = c /ν, so dλ = -c/ν^2 dν, and likewise dν = -c/λ^2 dλ. So, depending on which direction you are converting, you need a factor of ν^2 or λ^2 in the denominator. This should solve your problem. Let me know if it doesn't.

phyzguy said:
You need to realize that since λ ν = c, this means that λ = c /ν, so dλ = -c/ν^2 dν, and likewise dν = -c/λ^2 dλ. So, depending on which direction you are converting, you need a factor of ν^2 or λ^2 in the denominator. This should solve your problem. Let me know if it doesn't.

Thanks for the reply. I am still very confused; this is giving me units of per meter per second. Should I be integrating this then over all frequencies/wavelengths? I also now have a factor of -c with which I do not know what to do, since the flux should not be negative.

The minus sign is just telling you that increasing wavelengths represent decreasing frequencies and vice-versa. Normally this would be ignored. As for the unit conversions, I think the following is correct:
[tex]\rm 1 \frac{erg}{s \, cm^2\, \unicode{x212B}} = 1 \frac{erg}{s \,cm^2 Hz} \times \frac{3.0E8 (m/sec)}{\lambda^2 (\unicode{x212B}^2)}\times 1E10 \frac{\unicode{x212B}}{m} = \frac{3.0E18}{\lambda^2 (\unicode{x212B}^2)} \times 1 \frac{erg}{s \,cm^2 Hz}= \frac{3.0E-5}{\lambda^2 (\unicode{x212B}^2)} Jy [/tex]

These units work out, because the Hz in the denominator cancels with the sec-1 in the numerator. Does this make sense?

Edit: adding a web site with more detail.

Likes Astro Student
phyzguy said:
The minus sign is just telling you that increasing wavelengths represent decreasing frequencies and vice-versa. Normally this would be ignored. As for the unit conversions, I think the following is correct:
[tex]\rm 1 \frac{erg}{s \, cm^2\, \unicode{x212B}} = 1 \frac{erg}{s \,cm^2 Hz} \times \frac{3.0E8 (m/sec)}{\lambda^2 (\unicode{x212B}^2)}\times 1E10 \frac{\unicode{x212B}}{m} = \frac{3.0E18}{\lambda^2 (\unicode{x212B}^2)} \times 1 \frac{erg}{s \,cm^2 Hz}= \frac{3.0E-5}{\lambda^2 (\unicode{x212B}^2)} Jy [/tex]

These units work out, because the Hz in the denominator cancels with the sec-1 in the numerator. Does this make sense?

Edit: adding a web site with more detail.
This makes a lot of sense. I was able to check using some knowledge from the textbook that a zero-magnitude star receives 1000 photons at 550nm per second per cm^2 per Angstrom. The energy of these photons was equivalent to the flux of a zero-magnitude star in the V band (3640 Jy). Thank you!

What is Flux?

Flux is a measurement of the flow of a physical quantity through a surface. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of either mass, energy, or particles per unit time.

Why is Unit Conversion of Flux important?

Unit conversion of flux is important because different units of measurement may be used in different situations. Being able to convert between units allows for easier comparison and analysis of data and ensures that the correct units are used in calculations and equations.

How do you convert from one unit of Flux to another?

To convert from one unit of flux to another, you need to use a conversion factor. This conversion factor is a ratio between the two units and is used to multiply or divide the original value to convert it to the desired unit.

What are some common units of Flux?

Some common units of flux include kilograms per second (kg/s), joules per second (J/s), and particles per second (s-1). Other units may also be used depending on the specific physical quantity being measured.

Are there any tools or resources available to help with Unit Conversion of Flux?

Yes, there are many online conversion calculators and charts that can help with unit conversion of flux. Additionally, many scientific calculators have built-in unit conversion functions. It is also important to have a good understanding of dimensional analysis and conversion factors to accurately convert between units.