1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unit vector in polar coorindate

1. Sep 15, 2011 #1
    In rectangular corr. 3i+j mean leght in x-direction =3 in y-3direction =1

However, how about in polar coorindate?
    3r+1[itex]\theta[/itex] (r and [itex]\theta[/itex] are the unit verctor in polar coor., I don't know how to type it out, I hope you understand.)

Dose it mean a line with lenght 3 from origin and angle 1 radian from x-axis?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2011 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, just as 3i+j means three "steps" in the x-direction and 1 "step" in the y-direction, 3r + 1[itex]\theta[/itex] means three "steps" away from the origin and 1 "step" counter-clockwise from the x-axis.

4. Sep 16, 2011 #3
    How to convert the vector in retangular corrdinate to polar coordinate?
    For example, 3i+j, how to write in polar corrdinate unit vector?

5. Sep 16, 2011 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For a detailed explanation see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_coordinate_system

In polar coordinates, the radius is simply the distance from the origin (i.e. the magnitude of your position vector). So in your example, [itex]r = |3\hat{i} + \hat{j}| = \sqrt{10}[/itex]. The angular component is simply the angle between your vector and the positive x-direction. Since your point is in the first quadrant, this is simply [itex]\theta=\arctan(y/x) = \arctan(1/3)[/itex]. If your point were to be in a different quadrant, you would have to adjust accordingly.

6. Sep 16, 2011 #5
    I am still very unfamiliar with this new topic, and I still have a lot of question marks in my head.

The details of my reply please refer to my attachment

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      31.1 KB
      Views:
  7. Sep 16, 2011 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The unit vector [itex]\vex{e}_\theta[/itex] represents an "additional" rotation from the vector [itex]\vec{e}_r[/itex]. Notice that the unit vector [itex]\vec{e}_r[/itex] is the direction from the origin to the point in space [itex]\vec{r}[/itex]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Polar_unit_vectors.PNG.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook