1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Units for Einstein coefficients in stimulated emission?

1. May 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi,

I need to know the correct SI units for Einstein Coefficients (A and B) for stimulated emission (say laser).
    The equation I'm on about is

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\frac{A}{B}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{8\pi h\nu^{3}}{c^{3}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

after some scribbling I got to [tex]\frac{A}{B}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{Js}{m^{3}}[/tex]
    where J is joules, s seconds and m is meter.

any help appreciated. thanks

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

According to Wikipedia, the units of A are radians per second, and based on the ratio you got you should be able to figure out what the units of B are. Although I'm not sure whether to trust Wikipedia on this without having some other source (i.e. a textbook) to back it up.

4. May 20, 2009 #3
    thanks for your reply diazona!

apparently A is the probability per unit time of an electron making spotaneous transition so assuming A to be [tex]s^{-1}[/tex] then B should be [tex]\frac {m^{3}}{Js^{2}}[/tex], http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_coefficients#The_Einstein_coefficients" gives for B [tex]\frac {sr m^{2}}{Js}[/tex] where sr is solid angle and is dimensionless. I'm getting close but what am i doing wrong??

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  5. Jan 18, 2011 #4
    Wikipedia's right, I just happened to be working on this so let me show you why.

The units of coefficient A has the same units as BxJ, where J is the average specific intensity with units Jm-2s-1Hz-1Sr-1

A is the transition probability so has unit s-1

After juggling around I get =(m2SrHz)/J = what Wikipedia says :)

6. May 27, 2012 #5
    Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I came across this post when trying to find out which units to use and thought I should add the correct answer now I've found it.

Radiative Processes in Astrophysics by Rybicki and Lightman (p29) defines the transition probability per unit time ([itex]\mathrm{s}^{-1}[/itex]) for stimulated emission as [itex]B_{21}\overline{J}[/itex], where [itex]\overline{J}[/itex] is the mean intensity ([itex]\mathrm{Jm^{-2}s^{-1}sr^{-1}Hz^{-1}}[/itex]). This gives [itex]B_{21}[/itex] in units of [tex]\mathrm{m^2 sr J^{-1} s^{-1}}[/tex] However, the book also states that the energy density [itex]u_\nu[/itex] is often used instead of [itex]J_\nu[/itex] to define the Einstein B-coefficients. [tex]u_\nu=\frac{4\pi}{c}J_\nu[/tex] where [itex]J_\nu[/itex] is in the same units as [itex]\overline{J}[/itex] and therefore the units of [itex]u_\nu[/itex] are [itex]\mathrm{Jm^{-3}sr^{-1}Hz^{-1}}[/itex]. Therefore if the transition probability is defined as [itex]B_{21}\overline{u}[/itex] (with [itex]\overline{u}[/itex] again in the same units as [itex]u_\nu[/itex]) then the units of [itex]B_{21}[/itex] become [tex]\mathrm{m^3 sr J^{-1} s^{-2}}[/tex] So both of you were correct! Just make sure you stick to one definition or the other.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook