1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Universal gravitation previous exam problem

1. Apr 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm having trouble with this problem attached. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You have the basic idea - but the r in the gravity equation is the separation between the two objects, not their distance from the origin.

So if one object is at x1=4m from the origin, and the other is at x2=6m, in the same direction, then how far apart are they?
    if one is at x1=4m and the other at x2=x, in the same direction, then how far apart are they?

4. Apr 4, 2014 #3
    So, are you saying object 1 and two are not 4 units apart?

5. Apr 4, 2014 #4
    The answer key has an answer of 4.98M. I have tried a few different ways to get that answer and have yet to figure it out. can you tell me if that answer is actually correct?

Thanks

6. Apr 4, 2014 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Objects 1 and 2 are 4 units apart - that that's not the only separation that counts.
    What is the separation between object 3 and 2?

The secret is to write the whole thing out in symbolic form first - then simplify the equation.

7. Apr 4, 2014 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is something else to worry about: you write an expression for |F| which is correct, but then you work it out to |F|+|F|=0 and there is a little thing you missed there.

The numerical value you found somewhere is totally unimportant, but correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted