1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Universal Rate of Movement = Time

1. Jan 18, 2012 #1
    Is it safe to say speed equals time?

The faster in which everything moves internally and externally the faster time will flow by. Just as the moon circles the earth or the earth circles the sun. This is how we gauge time. It's not the trips around the earth that are important, but the time it took to get there. Like a river - if you set something afloat on one end - it may take minutes or days to reach a kilometer down the stream dependent on the movement of the current. Fast forward a movie in metaphor to your life.

If you then could control every variable in existence and stop it from moving. You will have frozen time.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Pretty much nothing you say is true.

"The faster in which everything moves internally and externally the faster time will flow by" is certainly not true. " Just as the moon circles the earth or the earth circles the sun" are true but have nothing to do with your point.

Or am I being foolish in responding to this at all?

4. Jan 19, 2012 #3
    I disagree. You are looking at this as parts where I'm looking at it as a whole.

Let's say for a second that every particle in your body slowed down to 50% it's normal speed. You'd think slower, your internal chemical reactions would happen at half the speed and your life would increase by 50%. Your synapses would fire at half the rate. You'd be in slow motion. You Probably wouldn't even notice this minus the fact that your outside world just sped up by 50%

Now lets say the rest of the world around you remained at a constant 100%. You'd be considered slow and well a bit weird. But lets say the entire world, every particle slowed down to 50% as well...who'd notice the difference. Noone but you could say that time slowed down in light of our previous perception by 50% - but no one would be the wiser.

You may think this is a ridiculous thought - but this to me is common sense. Who really gauges time but our own personal perceptive minds?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook