Universe started from a cosmic singularity

In summary, the universe may have started from a singularity, but there is no conclusive evidence that it did. Whether or not there was a big bang singularity is a question that most cosmologists would be very surprised if it turned out to be true.
cyhan721
It is a widely accepted theory that the universe started from a cosmic singularity and eventually through many years and processes gave us what we have today. But here's one question I ponder: how did the singularity get there in the first place? We know what the singularity caused, but what caused the singularity? Can something come from essentially nothing? I have been doing much reading lately, but am no expert on cosmology or physics. I am just curious about which physics or mathematical premise can explain this?? Thanks.

Space news on Phys.org

cyhan721 said:
It is a widely accepted theory that the universe started from a cosmic singularity...

What is a singularity? Do singularities actually exist in nature? Do you have any online source where a qualified scientist says that the universe started from a singularity?

I don't believe that this is actually a known fact, Cyhan. My understanding is that a singularity is a breakdown in a man-made theory. A place where a given mathematical model fails to compute. That is, it depends on what model you are using and does not necessarily exist in nature. One can use the breakdown point of a theory as a landmark or time-marker, however.

General Relativity gives us a classical math model of the universe called the Friedmann model (or by other names with Friedmann). This classical model breaks down at a certain point as you use it to work back. That breakdown point (call it t=0 if you like) is a good time-marker that people use a lot in discussing early universe stuff.

But there are other models that fit the data equally well (so far) and which don't break down. They run smoothly back to before t=0. In future we may, by making precise tests using more data, be able to eliminate some of these models and narrow down the possibilities. However for now we have no scientific reason to believe that the universe began at a point 13.7 billion years ago. Some models continue back further into the past.

Also there is no conclusive evidence that the state of the universe at the beginning of its current expansion was small. I doubt that any reputable scientist would claim that as a known fact. That state is generally assumed to be very dense, but not necessarily infinitely dense. And simply because it is very dense does not mean it has to be small.

So you may be laboring under some misconceptions about what the professional literature on cosmology actually says (as opposed to popular journalistic accounts.) Please tell us your sources so we can see where you get your ideas from.

I have some links to better-than-average popular accounts in my signature at the bottom of the post----if you wish, try the princeton.edu link and the einstein-online link. If you want links to professional research papers, ask.

Last edited:

cyhan721 said:
It is a widely accepted theory that the universe started from a cosmic singularity and eventually through many years and processes gave us what we have today. But here's one question I ponder: how did the singularity get there in the first place? ...

If the scientific community does not accept it, if it is only uninformed members of the public who accept it, then do we have to worry about it? My point is, you have no reason to believe there ever was such a thing as a cosmic singularity in nature, so the question of "how did it get there?" is vacuous. The short answer is "probably it didn't".

Have a look at the page called "A Tale of Two Big Bangs" at einstein-online. This may help clear up the problem. Here's the link:
http://www.einstein-online.info/en/spotlights/big_bangs/index.html

Sample quote:
"...Whether or not there really was a big bang singularity is a totally different question. Most cosmologists would be very surprised if it turned out that our universe really did have an infinitely dense, infinitely hot, infinitely curved beginning. Commonly, the fact that a model predicts infinite values for some physical quantity indicates that the model is too simple and fails to include some crucial aspect of the real world. In fact, we already know what the usual cosmological models fail to include: At ultra-high densities,..."

Check it out. Easy to read and may clear up a lot for you!

Last edited:

An analogous situation in science arose a couple centuries ago. It was called the ultra violet catastrophe. That one was not easily solved either.

1. What is a cosmic singularity?

A cosmic singularity is a point in space and time where the laws of physics break down and become unpredictable. It is thought to be the starting point of the universe, where all matter and energy were compressed into an infinitely dense and hot state.

2. How did the universe start from a cosmic singularity?

The prevailing theory, known as the Big Bang Theory, suggests that the universe began as a singularity and then rapidly expanded and cooled, leading to the formation of galaxies, stars, and planets over billions of years.

3. Is there evidence for the Big Bang Theory?

Yes, there is strong evidence supporting the Big Bang Theory. The cosmic microwave background radiation, the abundance of light elements, and the observed expansion of the universe are all consistent with the predictions of the theory.

4. What existed before the cosmic singularity?

It is currently unknown what existed before the cosmic singularity. Some theories suggest that there was a previous universe that collapsed and led to the formation of the singularity, while others propose that time and space did not exist before the singularity.

5. Could the universe have started from something other than a cosmic singularity?

While the Big Bang Theory is the most widely accepted explanation for the origin of the universe, there are other theories that propose alternative explanations. These include the Steady State Theory, which suggests that the universe has always existed and is continuously expanding, and the Cyclic Model, which suggests that the universe goes through cycles of expansion and contraction.