1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Universities with PHD programs in Quantum Information Theory

1. Jul 20, 2012 #1
    I will finish my Master studies in theoretical physics next year, and I want to do a PHD in Quantum Information (my main interest). I want to apply to universities in the UK and Germany (right now I restrict myself to these two countries). What are the universities you know of, that have Quantum Information projects for graduate students?

I'll use this thread as a complementary source of info to my own internet search. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2012 #2
    If you consider Germany, then you should definitely include Austria and Switzerland as well. There's no big difference between these countries.
    And they all go by the same system: As a PhD student, you're working for a specific professor and you'll have to apply directly to him, and not to the university itself. It's like a normal job.
    There are dozens of possibilities, most universities have someone working on QI. So the best way to find a professor would probably be to look at research papers and find out who's working on things you're interested in.

As a starting point I think that at places like
    TU Munich, FU Berlin, Uni of Vienna, IQOQI Innsbruck, University of Geneva etc.
    there are some people who are quite well-known in this field. But you should also look into 'smaller' places, like TU Braunschweig and so on.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  4. Aug 11, 2012 #3
    Thank you, I'll clearly go for all three of these countries. :)

5. Aug 12, 2012 #4
  6. Aug 13, 2012 #5
    I've never heard of "quantum information". I'm familiar with quantum computing, though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook