1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

University of Washington A&A Master's degree

1. Feb 2, 2016 #1
    Hi,

I'm interested in this master's degree with a concentration in plasma physics at the University of Washington. However, I realized that the Aeronautics and Aerospace department department is part of the College of Engineering and I don't really want to follow engineering centric courses as I am more interested in academic coursework and research.

Does anyone know what the courses are like in this department at UW ? Are they more engineering courses or 'scientific' courses (by that I mean courses with more fundamental concepts and more rigorous explanations).

Thanks for the replies :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2016 #2

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Hi Experience111

Regarding your post:

have you ever taken graduate level engineering courses? I can tell you with certainty the line between physics and engineering, at the graduate level, is non-existent. I'm not sure about plasma, but regarding fluids, which is what I studied, all work was incredibly theoretical. A deep understanding of tensor calculus, PDEs, and laws of physics was required. I think if you do more research you'll see that graduate engineering courses have the "fundamental concepts and more rigorous explanations" you crave, which is good news for you because it opens more doors! :)

While I didn't answer your question, hope this helps

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook