1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unknown operator that performs action on a matrix

1. Oct 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

write the matrices M which, when acting on A, divides the second row by a factor a, while leaving the other rows unchanged

2. Relevant equations

I solved a question on the Gauss-Jordan inversion which showed converting the matrix to the identity would also turn the identity into the inverse; I was thinking for this problem I would take the inversion of A and multiply it by my desired vector to give my answer? Is there a simpler way to do this? assuming my way is correct...

3. The attempt at a solution

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If by 'acting on' you mean the product M*A, then it's a lot easier than you think. The identity matrix doesn't change A at all. Change one entry in the identity matrix so it does what you want.

4. Oct 19, 2009 #3
    This is where I am struggling...

I can not seem to find the term to change, and rather than guessing at a solution I want to be able to solve the problem as there is a part b also that will require the same methodology.

A|x> = <alpha| ... If i were to multiply both sides by the inverse of A, it would appear that |x> would be left and that would be my answer, is this correct? If so, it seems like solving the inverse of A would be painfully long. Do you agree, or can i simply just take its transpose?

5. Oct 19, 2009 #4
    I see my problem now I think...I was going A * M, not M * A...

If I want to change the second row, now all I have to do is manipulate the second term of the identity matrix to be 1/alpha.

When I reversed them, switching the second one was manipulating the columns...not the rows.

Thanks for your response!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook