Unplugged Chest Freezer and It Won't Freeze Anymore - Why?

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
In summary, the freezer stopped working and the thermostat might not be working either. The problem might be due to a coolant leak, and the solution is to have the machine defrosted.
kyphysics
We have a chest freezer in the garage. It was working 100% fine.

I cleaned it (wiping down old ice and stains) yesterday and found today that the temperature seemed "lower" (it still blasts "cool/cold/chill" air out, but not freezing air like before). My ice cream was cold was kind of runny. I worried, so I unplugged it and plugged it back in.

DOH. It doesn't even freeze now. The lights inside turn on after plugging it back in, but the air blast doesn't come on...before it had weaker/less cold air, but not NO air.

Why is that? (p.s., I don't know where the adjustable temp control knob/meter is...looked all around and cannot find it...very old fridge). Any solutions/thoughts?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You may have a coolant leak.

Is there a sight glass in the coolant line? It is there to spot bubbles. If you see bubbles, there is some air in the system and cooling capacity will be reduced.

Likes russ_watters
The problem seems to be in the cleaning you just did.
Could you tell us a little more about the details of that cleaning?
Model, brand, year?
Any pictures?

Likes 256bits
kyphysics said:
Why is that? (p.s., I don't know where the adjustable temp control knob/meter is...looked all around and cannot find it...very old fridge). Any solutions/thoughts?
Did you keep it upright?
To find the thermostat, follow the power cables to the pump.

Baluncore said:
Did you keep it upright?
If it was NOT kept upright, leave it Off for minimum two days. This is to let the oil and refrigerant drain back into the compressor. If this step is skipped there is a real chance of damage/destruction of the compressor (same as running your car without any oil).

Cheers,
Tom

• Informative
Likes berkeman and Lnewqban
kyphysics said:
found today that the temperature seemed "lower" (it still blasts "cool/cold/chill" air out, but not freezing air like before).

By "lower", you mean "higher".

kyphysics said:
I worried, so I unplugged it and plugged it back in.
If unplugging the unit, wait several minutes - 30 or so - to plug back in again. if the motor had been running and pressurizing the coolant, a re-start will put undue strain upon the motor, and may even burn it out.
Hopefully there is an internal breaker and a reset switch ( not sure if any do ).

Perhaps your evaporator coils have iced up and frozen over when you were cleaning it from the humidity from the air.
Depends on the type of unit - you mentioned freezer, and then fridge.
So if you are lucky, all it needs is a complete defrost for several hours to remove the frost from the coils.

Likes rbelli1 and Lnewqban
256bits said:
If unplugging the unit, wait several minutes - 30 or so - to plug back in again. if the motor had been running and pressurizing the coolant, a re-start will put undue strain upon the motor, and may even burn it out.
The reason that occurs is if a cooling cycle is interrupted liquid coolant can accumulate in the compressor. Not being able to compress a liquid, the motor is stalled and may draw 10 times or more its normal operating current. All systems I'm aware of have a thermal overload built into the motor to avoid this self destruction. It has been many decades since I've seen one that required manual resetting, when the motor cools the overload switch automatically closes and you are good to go.

Those overload switches occassionally fail open (Off), so if the compressor won't run with power supplied when cool, replace the thermal overload. Sometimes they are located in the electrical junction box on the motor, other times they are mounted externally on the motor. The externally mounted ones are usually a small cylinder roughly 1in. (2.5cm.) or less diameter, with two wires, and mounted with two small screws to the motor.

So, you've lots of possibilities to address, have fun troubleshooting! :wink:

Cheers,
Tom

• Informative
Likes 256bits, anorlunda, berkeman and 1 other person
Is it a self-defrosting model?

The timer for the defrost function is often mechanical. If it gets stuck then you can have the symptoms you described.

BoB

Likes Lnewqban

1. Why is my chest freezer not freezing anymore?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a malfunctioning compressor, a faulty thermostat, a damaged door seal, or a refrigerant leak. It is best to have a professional technician diagnose and fix the problem.

2. How can I troubleshoot my unplugged chest freezer?

If your chest freezer is unplugged and won't freeze, there are a few things you can do to troubleshoot the issue. First, make sure the power cord is securely plugged into an outlet. Check the circuit breaker to ensure it hasn't tripped. If these are not the problem, it could be a malfunctioning compressor or thermostat, and a professional should be contacted.

3. Can a chest freezer be repaired if it won't freeze?

In most cases, a chest freezer can be repaired if it won't freeze. However, it depends on the cause of the issue. If it is a minor problem like a faulty thermostat or damaged door seal, it can likely be fixed. If it is a major issue like a refrigerant leak or compressor malfunction, it may be more cost-effective to replace the freezer.

4. How long can food stay frozen in an unplugged chest freezer?

The length of time that food can stay frozen in an unplugged chest freezer depends on several factors, such as the temperature outside, the amount of food in the freezer, and the type of food. In general, food can stay frozen for 24-48 hours in an unplugged chest freezer if the door remains closed.

5. How can I prevent my chest freezer from unplugging and not freezing?

To prevent your chest freezer from unplugging and not freezing, make sure it is plugged into a dedicated outlet and not an extension cord. Keep the freezer away from heat sources and ensure the door seal is intact. Regularly defrost and clean the freezer to maintain its efficiency. If you notice any issues, have them addressed promptly by a professional technician.