1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unprofessional to write a CV in the first person?

1. Dec 18, 2009 #1

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am looking for a teaching job (after 10 years of teaching at one place) so I am updating my CV. I am wondering if it is considered improper to use a personal tense ("During that period I wrote a physics book on..." or "I taught each of theses classes at least six times over the years.." etc ).

I have tried to avoid doing that but I find it awkward. For example, it feels strange to write
    "Each of these classes were taught at least six times over the years". That does not convey the information that I want to convey. And it would be even more strange to write "Each of these classes were taught by me at least six times ...".

I would like to have your opinon, whether you are a job seeker or an employer.

Thank you

Patrick

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2009 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Remember, for a CV you want to keep it brief while at the same time conveying as much information as possible. So it's acceptable to use point form and not worry about proper sentence structure.

Rather than saying: "During that perioud I wrote a physics book on ..."
    I would say:
    - wrote physics textbook dealing with fundamental optics (2002-2004)

Rather than: "I taught each of theses classes at least six times over the years..."
    I would say:
    - instructed Physics 330: Statistical Methods for Troglodytes (2001-2007)

In the cover letter on the other hand you want to make sure that you use proper grammar and sentence structure. In that case it's fine to use first person.

4. Dec 18, 2009 #3

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thank you. Your feedback is appreciated.
    You are right, I was losing sight of the essence of a CV and I was babbling too much.

Thanks!!

PS: How did you know that I taught Statistical Mehods for Troglodytes?!?!

5. Dec 19, 2009 #4
    Also remember that managers scan CV's and resumes, they don't actually read them as if they were a novel. The problem with using "I" is that it eats up valuable space.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook