Upper and lower bounds of integral

In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of the inequality (b-a)√(f(a)f(b)) ≤ ∫f(x)dx and whether it applies to all functions, specifically polynomials. Counterexamples are provided to show that the inequality is not always true.
ddddd28
Is it always true that:
upload_2016-9-8_20-37-30.png

upload_2016-9-8_20-38-26.png

Noticing that it works for some functions, I wanted to ensure it is true for all of them( at least polynomical), but since I am still in high school, and I don't have deep understanding in calculus( yet), the question is forwarded to you. proof please!

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-8_20-27-29.png
    upload_2016-9-8_20-27-29.png
    414 bytes · Views: 544
  • upload_2016-9-8_20-37-24.png
    upload_2016-9-8_20-37-24.png
    471 bytes · Views: 592
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first equation is obviously false. Consider: ##f: \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}: x \mapsto x.##

Then, ##\int\limits_{-1}^1 x dx = 0##, while ##(b-a) \sqrt{f(a) f(b)} = 2 \sqrt{-1} \quad ##is not defined when we only allow real numbers.

Likes zaidalyafey
In order to calculate that area , one needs to divide the parts. Let's assume also that only the absolute values are taken, and then , there will not be any problems with the root output. Thus, the formula is still valid.

ddddd28 said:
In order to calculate that area , one needs to divide the parts. Let's assume also that only the absolute values are taken, and then , there will not be any problems with the root output. Thus, the formula is still valid.

I don't see absolute values in the formula itself though.

Consider the function

$$f(x) = x(1-x)$$

Then

$$\int^1_0 x(1-x) dx = \frac{x^2}{2}-\frac{x^3}{3} = \frac{1}{6} > \frac{f(1)+f(0)}{2} = 0$$

Likes member 587159
ok, what about the first part of the formula?

Math_QED said:
The first equation is obviously false. Consider: ##f: \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}: x \mapsto x.##

Then, ##\int\limits_{-1}^1 x dx = 0##, while ##(b-a) \sqrt{f(a) f(b)} = 2 \sqrt{-1} \quad ##is not defined when we only allow real numbers.
ddddd28 said:
In order to calculate that area ,
one needs to divide the parts.
@ddddd28, you posted an inequality that included a definite integral, which can represent an area, but doesn't have to.
The inequality was ##(b - a)\sqrt{f(a)f(b)} \le \int_a^b f(x) dx##
ddddd28 said:
Let's assume also that only the absolute values are taken, and then , there will not be any problems with the root output. Thus, the formula is still valid.

For the first equation. Consider the function

$$f (x) = \cos(x), a= 0 , b= 2\pi$$

$$2 \pi \sqrt {1 \times 1} >\int^{2\pi}_0\cos(x ) dx=0$$

ddddd28 said:
Is it always true that:
View attachment 105614

View attachment 105615
Noticing that it works for some functions, I wanted to ensure it is true for all of them( at least polynomical), but since I am still in high school, and I don't have deep understanding in calculus( yet), the question is forwarded to you. proof please!
Both false - simple counterexamples:
[itex](1) f(x)=x^2,\ a=-1,\ b=1,\ (2) f(x)=1-x^2,\ a=-1,\ b=1[/itex]

1. What is an upper bound and lower bound of an integral?

An upper bound of an integral is the largest value that the function being integrated can reach within the given interval. A lower bound is the smallest value that the function can reach within the interval.

2. How do I determine the upper and lower bounds of an integral?

The upper and lower bounds of an integral can be determined by looking at the given interval and the function being integrated. The upper bound will be the largest value within the interval, and the lower bound will be the smallest value.

3. Why is it important to consider upper and lower bounds of an integral?

Considering upper and lower bounds of an integral is important because it helps to determine the range of values that the function can take within the given interval. This information is crucial in solving many real-world problems that involve finding maximum or minimum values.

4. Can there be multiple upper and lower bounds for an integral?

Yes, there can be multiple upper and lower bounds for an integral. This is especially true for indefinite integrals, where the upper and lower bounds are not specified. In this case, the integral will have an infinite number of possible upper and lower bounds.

5. How do upper and lower bounds affect the value of an integral?

The upper and lower bounds of an integral can greatly affect its value. Changing the bounds can result in a different area being calculated, which in turn, can lead to a different value for the integral. Additionally, if the function being integrated does not have a defined maximum or minimum within the given interval, the value of the integral may be affected by the choice of upper and lower bounds.