Upper division undergraduate electronics and circuits textbooks

In summary, a student is seeking recommendations for a textbook that covers AC and DC circuits, diodes, transistors, amplifiers, and electronics, geared towards physicists. They mention that the current textbook being used is not resonating with them and ask for suggestions. Another person suggests "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill, but notes that it may be more suitable for engineering students. The student provides a brief summary of their previous electronics education and future plans for research.
Kiley
Hello everyone,

I am in an upper division undergraduate electronics and circuits class right now and the textbook that were using (Eggleston: basic electronics for scientists and engineers) is not resonating with me. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a textbook that explains things more thoroughly and covers: AC and DC circuits, diodes, transistors, conventional and operational amplifiers, analog to digital conversion, pulse and digital electronics. Ideally one geared towards physicists rather than engineers. Please let me know.

Thank you,
Kiley

Physics news on Phys.org
No offense meant, but those subjects seem more like lower division electronics. My experience in upper division EE classes (admittedly decades ago) was with more advanced subjects like RF, advanced feedback topologies, etc.

What classes in basic electronics have you had so far in your lower division classes? I agree that this textbook that you mention seems to be all over the map and fairly incoherent, based on looking at its Table of Contents at Amazon's "look inside" feature:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521154308/?tag=pfamazon01-20

For basic electronics education, I like to recommend "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill, but it is definitely geared more for engineering students than for physics students.

Will this be the only electroncs class that you will take in your physics education? If so, and if you can say what classes you've had before about electronics, I/we should be able to point you to some better learning resources. :smile:

Last edited:
Likes Kiley and WWGD
Hi Berkeman,

Thanks for your reply and suggestion, no offense taken. The previous class I took that involved circuits was an intro to physics class that broadly looked at electromagnetism and circuits and touched on resistors, capacitors ohms, kvl, and kcl. This class I'm currently in is the only official circuits class I will be taking in my undergraduate education but I am going to be taking a condensed matter course and intend to be involved in photovoltaic research during graduate school.
Thank you again for taking the time to help me, I took a brief look at the book you suggested and it seems much easier to follow.

-Kiley

1. What topics are typically covered in upper division undergraduate electronics and circuits textbooks?

Upper division undergraduate electronics and circuits textbooks cover a range of topics including circuit analysis, semiconductor devices, analog and digital electronics, and microelectronics. They also often include discussions on signal processing, communication systems, and power electronics.

2. Are these textbooks suitable for self-study or are they meant to be used in a classroom setting?

While these textbooks are often used in a classroom setting, they can also be suitable for self-study. They typically include exercises and examples to help students practice and understand the material on their own.

3. How do these textbooks differ from introductory level electronics textbooks?

Upper division undergraduate electronics and circuits textbooks typically assume a basic understanding of circuit analysis and math, and therefore delve deeper into more complex topics and applications. They also often include more advanced mathematical and theoretical concepts.

4. Are there any recommended prerequisites for using these textbooks?

Most upper division undergraduate electronics and circuits textbooks require a strong foundation in calculus, physics, and introductory circuit analysis. Some may also recommend prior knowledge of basic electronics and digital systems.

5. What types of projects or experiments can be completed using these textbooks?

Many upper division undergraduate electronics and circuits textbooks include hands-on projects and experiments that allow students to apply the concepts they have learned. These may include building and testing circuits, designing and prototyping electronic systems, or analyzing real-world applications.