1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Upper-tier undergrad offering merit-based scholarships?

1. Dec 20, 2014 #1
    Hello, Physics Forums! I currently a high school junior in the US, and I plan on majoring in physics. Finances are a concern for me, since I don't qualify for financial aid, but wont be receiving any help from my parents. As a result, the very highest schools like MIT are out of the question for me, since I don't want to be graduating hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt (since they only give need-based financial aid). I was wondering, however, if there are any schools that aren't on quite that level - but still have good physics programs - and also give merit-based scholarships that I might qualify for. Thanks in advance for any replies!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2014 #2
    I know that the University of Chicago, Duke University, and the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign award merit-based scholarships. The latter two offer some full-tuition merit scholarships. All three schools have good physics programs. You could also try looking at the top ranked physics schools and Googling to see if they offer merit scholarships.

4. Dec 22, 2014 #3
    Coe College in Cedar Rapids, Iowa is a small midwestern liberal arts college that is very well known for its undergraduate physics department. They have a strong focus on experimental physics/materials science/glass research and a really active SPS chapter. They do offer merit scholarships and as far as liberal arts colleges go, it isn't too pricey (I think roughly 40k for room board and tuition, which is great considering how a lot of small colleges nowadays cost upwards of 60k). Further, they have sent students to Harvard/MIT for graduate studies. The only drawback is that it's in Iowa (otherwise I would definitely have transferred there) but if you don't mind that, and you have a strong high school background that makes you competitive for merit scholarships, I'd consider applying.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook