1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urban Graduate Schools in Physics

1. Aug 13, 2007 #1
    'Lo all,

I am wondering what are some good physics graduate schools that are in very urban areas. And by urban, I mean has a population density high enough for a frequently used rail system (ie, New York, Chicago, London), and preferably > 500,000 people. Only exception is LA and San Diego. I want to get away from Southern California.

I want schools that are famous and hard to get into, but also I want solid schools that offer good graduate programs but are more possible for humans to get into.

I am interested in condensed matter physics, both experimental and theoretical.

Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Er... University of Chicago, Columbia University, Georgia Tech, University of Washington... etc... etc. There are tons of them!

4. Aug 13, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

....and to complete the list (in the US): MIT, Harvard, Berkeley, Stanford, UMd (all locations are connected by commuter rail systems).
  5. Aug 13, 2007 #4

Staff: Mentor

If you want to live without a car, I think you might find Georgia Tech frustrating. Atlanta does have a rail system, but it doesn't serve nearly as many destinations as say Chicago's or New York's, and most bus routes don't run very often. I think there only a couple of bus routes in the whole city that run as often as every fifteen minutes. I can't speak to Georgia Tech itself, but I've visited Atlanta and used its rail and bus system.
  6. Aug 13, 2007 #5
    Alright. But those are all top 20 or so schools. I also want to know of some schools that are not as difficult to get into, but would nevertheless provide a solid education.

What do you people think of NYU and CUNY grad programs? Would they fit the bill as being easier to get into but still providing a great education in the city?
  7. Aug 13, 2007 #6

8. Aug 13, 2007 #7
    Binghamton University Physics Department
  9. Aug 13, 2007 #8

Again assuming that living without a car is important, I'd like to point out that in many smaller university towns/cities, it's quite possible to do without a car, at least for local transportation, provided that you're able and willing to walk or bicycle a lot.

I went to grad school at the University of Michigan and lived for eight years in Ann Arbor. I owned a car for only about a year and a half there, at the end of my stay. I lived close enough to campus that I could either walk or ride a free university shuttle bus to get to class and work. But usually I rode my bike, which also provided most of my transportation around town. The city is small enough physically that I could easily bicycle most everywhere I wanted to go. When the weather was bad, or I didn't want to take my bike for some reason, I rode the buses; Ann Arbor has a very good bus system for a city its size.

The main problem with not having a car was not having many options for going out of town, except for Detroit and Chicago which I could reach easily by train or bus. I think a couple of times I did rent a car for weekend trips.
  10. Aug 13, 2007 #9
    Rely on public transportation. I'm in Kansas for an internship, WITHOUT a car. Yes, WITHOUT a car... I'm still managing. It takes 1hr 10min to travel via bus, for a 5.7 mile route. You will have to make some sacrifices.
  11. Aug 13, 2007 #10

maybe wayne state university? You'll get a solid graduate education there. Only problem is it's in Detroit. Otherwise, the faculty and people there are very friendly and supportive.
  12. Aug 13, 2007 #11
    Hmm, WSU for physics...
  13. Aug 13, 2007 #12
    :rolleyes: It's not a bad school. Some solid research is going on there. It is actually quite underrated due to its location.

And he said he wanted schools that were a bit more feasible to get accepted to.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  14. Aug 13, 2007 #13
    Yea WSU is a good suggestion. I don't think it "sucks" at all. Thanks leright, that is interesting.

But does Detroit have a good mass transit system?
  15. Aug 13, 2007 #14
    No. Not at all. This is a major downside. :tongue:

But what field of physics are you interested in? If you're interested in Elementary particle physics experiment or theory then WSU has a lot going on. Thgey are alsl doing a lot of nuclear and condensed matter stuff.

BTW, I'm just an REU there. I don't go to school there.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  16. Aug 27, 2007 #15
    UPenn has a very good condensed matter program, but isn't quite as impossible to get into as the other big name schools listed above. Philadelphia has a pathetic mass transit system, but it's a great walking city, and it has a new car sharing program that is pretty cheap and convenient for occasional trips out of the city. Most grad students I know here don't own cars.
  17. Aug 27, 2007 #16
    I don't know if he's just planning on living without a car or wants to live in a city or maybe both?

umass amherst has a good physics department (very good in condensed matter), and has a very good bus system. When I'm up at school my car sits in the parking lot and only gets used if I have to make a road trip, its far easier to use the bus system to get around. Also because the town is essentially built around the local colleges everything is very compact.

But I won't kid you there isn't much of a city in amherst, allthough about 6 miles from Amherst is Northhampton which could qualify as a city.
  18. Aug 27, 2007 #17
    Why not Mcgill in Montreal city ?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?