US army admits to violating geneva convention

In summary, the conversation discusses evidence of physical torture of detainees by 311th MI personnel and/or translators, and the violation of prisoners' rights under the Geneva Conventions in January 2004. The abuse included forcing detainees to perform exhausting exercises, blowing cigarette smoke into their hoods, throwing cold water on them, and subjecting them to loud music and yelling. The proposed changes to military tribunals include bolstering the rights of defendants and barring confessions obtained by torture. Some individuals argue that the Geneva Conventions do not apply to terrorists as they do not meet the criteria of a POW. However, others argue that all individuals should be treated humanely, regardless of their status. There is also discussion about the justification of these actions
The other fact, that I live the same situation. All my life I was forced to live under occupation of ‘’god chosen nation’’. I lost several cousins and friends in the conflict. I personally was hit by Israeli soldiers several times, just because I am Palestinian, so I know how the suffering of the oppressed people.

The Israeli have a lot of similarities to American occupation. Even many experts who teach the American show militants to use their tectics in Iraq. May be many people surprised from Abu Gharib, but surely I did not surprise …. Because we have Abu Gharib since decades. The Israeli used to send their agents to kidnap young girls and boys (from 14 to 18 years old) and to take pictures for them in ‘’shameful situation’’, after that they use these pictures to force those kids to be ‘’collaborators’’ otherwise they could publish it! Of course they never publish it, but to have such pictures is nightmare for many people from eastern cultures.

The only difference that the Israeli are experts in such techniques and they keep it very secret since more than 50 years, while the American seems to have little experience. They suppose to use the video and pictures of raping to make ‘’collaborators’’ not to make fun!

By the way, I am currently working in research in Europe for few months, in next Sep. I will be again in Palestine again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you please respond to my thread as I am actually very interested in talking to someone who has lived in the Middle East. And no one has brought up Europe's appointment of Israel as the rightful owners in this thread i think so I am not sure why it was brought up. Please respond to my thread as I am really interested. Also i find it funny that you hate America so much when the problems of the Middle east and the western world and Israel and Palestine are the fault of Europe's arrogance and meddling in middle eastern affairs.

Dear Pengwuino,

I never met any American, but I know many European. Also I do not hate American, you remind by the Jews who call everybody do not agree with them as anti Semite. I highly respect America as nation who did very well for humanity in different fields, but I do not agree with their politicians at all. USA was the greatest country in the eyes of academic and educated people in ME till few years ago. It was our first goal to get admission in any American University in that time. I remember the attack of Oklahoma in 1996, many professors and students in my university were glad that no Muslim or Arab behind the attack. People here blame only the American politicians for supporting our dictators and Israel.

Just recently the situation became serious , after people knew officially what really happen in Iraq.

Concerning France, the wars and conflicts between France and Arab world did not stop since Crusaders wars till the independence war of Algeria. But they succeeded in last few years to win the hearts of people. Not all ME are religious as you think, and they will not care about these anti Islamic laws. For example in Turkey and Tunisia, women are not allowed to wear traditional clothes in any governmental places since 60 years! Even in Tunisia they did not let women to wear such clothes in the streets. So whatever France did, Muslims still have more freedom than in what called Islamic countries.

France succeeded to make people to forget more than 8 centuries of wars, and they won the hearts and minds of people because they have policians who give little attention to the public opinion in our countries.

At beginning of war on Iraq many liberal Arab were talking daily in media claiming that USA will spread democracy, but now those people can not show their faces to media anymore.

I have many friends also in USA (Palestinian students) and they tell me that people are wonderful, so I have no problem with the society …
I care about human himself not about his religion, nationality or race. These governments are not necessary to represent the spirit of their people, but it is great to hear the views of everybody.

Pengwuino said:
And ehere "Others are joking about Muslims and show them as non human?" Who are these 'others'? I know Europeans are very anti-muslim... but not in America. Hell, France wants to make it illegal for women to wear their traditional clothing (You know what I am talking about... that covers their face... i won't even try to act like i know what its called or what their use is or anything like that... just tryen to tell you what there trying to do). I mean... do you even get to hear about this stuff? Did you happen to know all the French oil companies who had actual illegal oil contracts with Saddam? Did you know about the 1.3 million people (according to Saddam) that died because of UN sanctions?

UOTE]

You do realize Abu Gharib was a very isolated incident with a few dozen people out of 150,000 soldiers. I find it rather annoying people base an entire cause bsaed on one stupid incident of people being shown off naked. And no, i never said all people in the middle east are religious but you are teh one who said people think all muslims are inhumane or something. And i find it funny that you get mad at a small prison incident yet you completely ignore an entire nation's discrimination against a religion (and then say they somehow 'won the hearts of minds of people'). And if you do care about a human, you shouldn't be happy that a nation like France is repressing his right to freely practice his religion.

And you have also not mentioned a word about the million people who died under saddam and the illegal oil deals from european, east european, middle eastern, and african nations amongst others. You seem to be so forgiving to europeans (which result in millions of deaths) yet you have a small prison abuse scandal and you go nuts. Why don't you say anything about european politicians?

Smurf said:
I can't help but point out that this statement implies that Fascism is, in fact, evil. Which is wholely untrue.

Fas-cism - n. - A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism.

Yah... not evil at all.

Dear Pengwuino

I will conclude my answer in some points:

- You asked me about opinion of people not my personal opinion.
- Iraq was the ‘’cross road’’ for American policy in ME. Unfortunately, they seem failed miserably. It has been two years of fall of Baghdad and the life in Iraq became miserable with ten thousands of victims.
- Saddam was supported by USA in the 80s, the same as France and rest of Europe support him. During UN sanction UK/USA who used to bomb Iraq daily.
- I do not know what you mean by European politician, if France decided to invade Syria, then it immediacy will be classified as enemy. The relation with France was worse than with American till 70s. In that time, their politicians decide to be more balance, while American politicians never care about the opinion of people. Beside that, British politicians are considered the worse in ME and nobody could trust them because they responsible about most of troubles in the region.
- The arrogance of American politicians, e.g. Bush, Rice, Cheney, Ramsfield, made them hated around the world, not only in ME.
- For several years, Most European activities in ME focus only on supporting the education and infrastructure in several countries in ME. They show less interest in wars and violence than American.
-Saddam could be the most person I hate, because I know very well his crimes in Iraq. This not means the Iraqi people should suffer again under occupation.

This not means the troubles between USA and ME have no solution, we can learn from the relations with France and solve the misunderstanding and other troubles without using violence.

Pengwuino said:
You do realize Abu Gharib was a very isolated incident with a few dozen people out of 150,000 soldiers. I find it rather annoying people base an entire cause bsaed on one stupid incident of people being shown off naked. And no, i never said all people in the middle east are religious but you are teh one who said people think all muslims are inhumane or something. And i find it funny that you get mad at a small prison incident yet you completely ignore an entire nation's discrimination against a religion (and then say they somehow 'won the hearts of minds of people'). And if you do care about a human, you shouldn't be happy that a nation like France is repressing his right to freely practice his religion.

And you have also not mentioned a word about the million people who died under saddam and the illegal oil deals from european, east european, middle eastern, and african nations amongst others. You seem to be so forgiving to europeans (which result in millions of deaths) yet you have a small prison abuse scandal and you go nuts. Why don't you say anything about european politicians?

Have you ever studied the reconstruction in Germany? Bombing a country and then rebuilding it when the people are brainwashed to hate you isn't exactly an easy thing. YOu truly don't understand what a real failure is. You also obviously never hear of the pro-American news to come out of Iraq because no one likes to hear it. When was the last time the newspapers and such show the pictures of the new schools and new court houses and improved judicial system?

And Saddam was supported because of the Cold War. Plus that was pff, 4 presidents ago. You don't seem to realize that times change and people don't have the same leaders for decades like countries in your region. And i find it funny that you don't know what European politicians are since most countries have politicians... I find it funny that with all the crap France and other european and middle eastern and eastern european nations have done to you guys, you still support them like they are gods. They exploit you guys for financial gain and you still defend them. You are obviously getting biased and false reporting if you think european activities don't include taking your oil (a lot from Saddam) and letting dictators run your countries. Funny how you have rich as hell leaders (such as when Arafat was around in Palestine) telling you that the west is exploiting you when they profit off you and your suffering. Ever wonder why Israel didnt come out and just bomb Arafat's compound to kingdom come? He has billions upon billions of dollars that he stole from people like you (and people like you went off and commited suicide bombings in his name) in bank accounts and property around the world. So if you wonder why people in the middle east suffer when tehy do.. might want to take a look at your own backyards for some of the causes.

And really, you want us to act like the French? Ok, first what we'll do is sell more weaponry to dictators that use them on their own people to kill off political opposition. Then we'll buy your oil for cheap and let your leaders bask in their illgotten wealth while you people suffer. Just like the French.

Dear Pengwuino ,

California means in Arabic ''warm as oven'' . May be when Spanish , who used i that time many Arabic words, call its this name because of its warm weather? just guessing.

I know the people of this State are the best in USA,but it seems they have warm blood and they become angry quickly.

Check your last comments to find what is the problem with American!
Simply , they think the others are just trash and they are the ''best people'' on the earth.

I do not think Germany is good example, so what about Japan? You think it is good idea to kill millions and to destroy the country for generations because you want to build new nation!

2WW is another story and it is started as European war between the greatest countries in the world in that time.

Our nations ask USA to stop supporting the dictators and to keep its business out. We are against terrorism, OBL, ALqaeda.. etc. It was mistake of Ronald Reagan who supported ''Mujahideen'' against the Soviet. Really few people in our region support this extremist man and his ideas. May be neo Nazi in Germany or KKK in USA have more support in their countries than AL qaeda has among the Muslims.

If KKK represents the American people then ALqaead represent the Muslims. Do not forget that Muslims around 23% of the world and majority in 55 countries with different languages and cultures. It is silly to declare ‘’Crusades’’ o 1.4 Billion people because of several thousands of criminals who were supported by CIA one day.

The Iraqi people are victims of Saddam, USA, UK, UN, France, Russia, Arab countries …. They paid expensive and they should start to rebuild their country without occupation.

You call us fascist and you wonder why we get mad? Are you blind? The US always has to take blame for every single thing no matter who actually is the root of the problem and we're kind of annoyed.

Please quote me as to where i said we are teh best in teh world. I am just mad that you are practically in love with Europe when Europe is the reason a lot of your countries have huge % of people in poverty and dictators running amuck.

And just because you can't argue against an example doesn't mean you can say its not a good example. Thats just pathetic arguing. And let's see about Japan. Wait... what the hell was Pearl Harbor? They bombed us without declaring war! And how exactly did we destroy the country for generations? 2 generations later and Japan is the 2nd largest economony in the world!

And what you are obviously ignoring is the fact that Reagan had to support them because the Soviet Union had 20,000 nukes pointed at us. You would do the same god damn thing if you had to make the decision. And hey, don't forget that there's over 130 countries in the world and the only people who are making religion an issue are people in teh middle east and Europeans. I've never heard our leaders say "we must destroy these muslims". The only people who say anything about particular leaders are people in the arab world and people in Europe. Your the ones declaring any sort of "crusade" against a religion.

But of course, this all proves my point. Your information is actually far more inaccurate and bias then mine is since your the one whos forced to change tactics every post and change the subject and are unable to argue against my points.

Pengwuino said:
Lets see... people supported by a terrorist hate us? And ohh, 2 whole months went by and its the largest. Wow, you got to be pretty dense to fall all over this one like you are :)

Your posts about media bias makes perfect sense in this case, because BBC reported the amount of people who assembled early, so thus couldn't make a correct count. But luckily, the Houston Chronicle and US newspapers did manage to get it..

The protest in Baghdad's famous Firdos Square was the largest anti-American demonstration since the U.S.-led invasion.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3125363

During these sanctions you are talking about, the US and UK constantly bombed the civilians in Iraq, due to the chemicals in the weapons used, more than 500,000 children are now dead, mutated, or heavily injured. How do you expect their mothers to forgive you? that's why they are led to follow people like Al-Sadr and you wonder why these tens of thousands of people follow him?

http://www.globalissues.org/Geopolitics/MiddleEast/Iraq/Sanctions.asp

http://www.casi.org.uk/pr/pr030217.html

But, I apologize for assuming that Bilal lived close to the Iraqi area, because he seems very knowledgeable on what's going on there and is able to recollect information very soon, so I figured he must live close to there..

klusener said:
During these sanctions you are talking about, the US and UK constantly bombed the civilians in Iraq, due to the chemicals in the weapons used, more than 500,000 children are now dead, mutated, or heavily injured. How do you expect their mothers to forgive you?
Anyone else see this one? My giggle for today.

edit: dang, I cut and pasted the wrong quote. Fixed.

Last edited:
well, russ, it was all a master plan to make you giggle like a girl, glad to know it worked...

Seriously though, I thought that would be a logical reason, since all the other newspapers everywhere reported that this was the largest anti-American demonstration since the start of the occupation.

Last edited:
klusener said:
well, russ, it was all a master plan to make you giggle like a girl, glad to know it worked...

Seriously though, I thought that would be a logical reason, since all the other newspapers everywhere reported that this was the largest anti-American demonstration since the start of the occupation.
edit: wrong quote posted above - fixed now.

Well, setting aside the thoughtless, unfactual (aw heck - just plain wrong) rhetoric on why the demonstration happened -- two weeks ago, a million Lebanese demonstratred against the Syrian occupation. While its nice to see a small handful of Iraqis exercising the freedom we have given them, its hardly a mandate that we need to abandon them at this point.

In the past few weeks, they got themselves a PM and a President. They're coming along nicely, but we're not quite finished yet.

Sometimes I think the real reason people want us to leave is they're afraid we might succeed in making Iraq a real democracy, with all the peace, stability, and prosperity that goes with it.

Last edited:
Bilal said:
Dear Pengwuino ,

California means in Arabic ''warm as oven'' . May be when Spanish , who used i that time many Arabic words, call its this name because of its warm weather? just guessing.

California was named for a mythical island paradise that was part of Spanish folklore.

russ_watters said:
Sometimes I think the real reason people want us to leave is they're afraid we might succeed in making Iraq a real democracy, with all the peace, stability, and prosperity that goes with it.
If these countries were able to have true self determination, it wouldn't likely go the way some people would like to think it would go. Better keep up the good ole micro-management now, with the recent meetings at Bush's ranch to pressure Israel (now he's doing this?), and Rumsfeld's surprise visit to Iraq. Otherwise people might question whether the Bush administration has done anything good for America these past years. Nah, they will never want to admit that no matter what.