US universities accepting 15 years of education?

In summary, the person is a Physics Undergrad from India looking to pursue a MS in Physics in the US with only 15 years of education (10+2+3). Most schools in the US require a minimum of 16 years of formal education or a U.S. Bachelor's degree. The person is considering going straight for a PhD, but the expert advises that a Master's degree may be a better option to gain more knowledge and experience. The person is concerned about their eligibility criteria, but the expert explains that their bachelor's degree is what matters most and their chances will depend on their academic performance, extracurricular activities, and ability to navigate politics in the academic world.
Rose.w
I know this question has been asked a million times,but i haven't been able to find an answer for this.
I am a Physics Undergrad and looking forward to pursue MS in Physics from US,but I have only 15 years of education (10+2+3).
Most schools require qualifications comparable to a U.S. Bachelor’s degree (Four-Year Degree Program) or a minimum of 16 years of formal education.

thank you..!i am sorry i wasn't more clear...
I am from India, and have completed a 3-year degree program

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not totally sure I understand your question. If you are completing an undergraduate degree in physics roughly equivalent to an undergraduate degree in the US, then the other parts of your schooling don't really matter.

So, if you are indeed going to have an undergraduate degree, skipping grades (? you haven't really specified why you have 15 years of education, what country you're from or what 10+2+3 means) earlier on is irrelevant.

If that doesn't answer your question, you need to explain your situation in more detail and provide more background information.

If you have a bachelor's degree, that is all that matters. Any reason you're looking to go for a Master's? In the US, you can go straight from BS to PhD.

yes,but i think it's better to do master's first then go for a PhD...

Rose.w said:
yes,but i think it's better to do master's first then go for a PhD...

No it isn't

ok..thank you...but do you think i can get any good university?

KillaKem said:
No it isn't

Well, it can be in some cases. If you just want to learn a bit more about the subject and want to spend a few years of your life doing, there's nothing wrong with going for a master's first.

Rose.w said:
ok..thank you...but do you think i can get any good university?
Depends. Are you good?

Hobin said:
Well, it can be in some cases. If you just want to learn a bit more about the subject and want to spend a few years of your life doing, there's nothing wrong with going for a master's first.

Depends. Are you good?

yeah..but i was referring to the eligibility criteria i asked above... ?

Rose.w said:
yeah..but i was referring to the eligibility criteria i asked above... ?

I know, but this isn't what matters most. You have a bachelor's degree, just like everyone else who wants to go for a master's or a PhD. This practically makes you the person they are less likely to choose, because most of the others have a bachelor's degree that fits the other programmes more closely (seeing as you've got your degree somewhere else).

This doesn't have to be much of a problem, depending on how good you are. And yes, this means things as silly as your GPA, your extracurricular activities, extra courses you have attended, and your ability to deal with people (i.e. politics).

Hobin said:
I know, but this isn't what matters most. You have a bachelor's degree, just like everyone else who wants to go for a master's or a PhD. This practically makes you the person they are less likely to choose, because most of the others have a bachelor's degree that fits the other programmes more closely (seeing as you've got your degree somewhere else).

This doesn't have to be much of a problem, depending on how good you are. And yes, this means things as silly as your GPA, your extracurricular activities, extra courses you have attended, and your ability to deal with people (i.e. politics).

ok..thank you so much...:smile:

1. What is the significance of US universities accepting 15 years of education?

The acceptance of 15 years of education by US universities allows international students to have a wider range of options when applying for undergraduate programs. It also allows for a smoother transition for students coming from countries with a different education system.

2. Which US universities accept 15 years of education?

Many US universities accept 15 years of education, including Ivy League schools such as Harvard, Yale, and Princeton. Other universities like Stanford, MIT, and NYU also accept 15 years of education.

3. Do I still need to take the SAT/ACT if I have 15 years of education?

Most US universities still require international students to take the SAT or ACT, regardless of their educational background. However, some universities may waive this requirement if the student has completed 15 years of education.

4. Can I apply for graduate programs in the US with 15 years of education?

Yes, many US universities also accept 15 years of education for graduate programs. However, some programs may have specific requirements, so it is best to check with the university or program directly.

5. How can I prove that I have completed 15 years of education?

You can provide official transcripts and certificates from your secondary and post-secondary education institutions as proof of completing 15 years of education. Some universities may also accept other forms of documentation, such as a letter from your school or a certificate of completion.