1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

US universities accepting 15 years of education?

1. Aug 14, 2011 #1
    I know this question has been asked a million times,but i haven't been able to find an answer for this.
    I am a Physics Undergrad and looking forward to pursue MS in Physics from US,but I have only 15 years of education (10+2+3).
    Most schools require qualifications comparable to a U.S. Bachelor’s degree (Four-Year Degree Program) or a minimum of 16 years of formal education.

thank you..!!!

i am sorry i wasn't more clear...
    I am from India, and have completed a 3-year degree program

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2011 #2
    I'm not totally sure I understand your question. If you are completing an undergraduate degree in physics roughly equivalent to an undergraduate degree in the US, then the other parts of your schooling don't really matter.

So, if you are indeed going to have an undergraduate degree, skipping grades (? you haven't really specified why you have 15 years of education, what country you're from or what 10+2+3 means) earlier on is irrelevant.

If that doesn't answer your question, you need to explain your situation in more detail and provide more background information.

4. Aug 14, 2011 #3
    If you have a bachelor's degree, that is all that matters. Any reason you're looking to go for a Master's? In the US, you can go straight from BS to PhD.

5. Aug 14, 2011 #4
    yes,but i think it's better to do master's first then go for a PhD...

6. Aug 14, 2011 #5
    No it isn't

7. Aug 14, 2011 #6
    ok..thank you...but do you think i can get any good university???

8. Aug 14, 2011 #7
    Well, it can be in some cases. If you just want to learn a bit more about the subject and want to spend a few years of your life doing, there's nothing wrong with going for a master's first.

Depends. Are you good?

9. Aug 14, 2011 #8
    yeah..but i was referring to the eligibility criteria i asked above... ?

10. Aug 14, 2011 #9
    I know, but this isn't what matters most. You have a bachelor's degree, just like everyone else who wants to go for a master's or a PhD. This practically makes you the person they are less likely to choose, because most of the others have a bachelor's degree that fits the other programmes more closely (seeing as you've got your degree somewhere else).

This doesn't have to be much of a problem, depending on how good you are. And yes, this means things as silly as your GPA, your extracurricular activities, extra courses you have attended, and your ability to deal with people (i.e. politics).

11. Aug 14, 2011 #10

ok..thank you so much...:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook