Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

US Vice President Cheney Accidentally Shoots Fellow Hunter

1. Feb 12, 2006 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

:rolleyes: Maybe he thought he saw a 'Democrat' or 'Liberal'!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060212/ap_on_go_pr_wh/cheney_hunting_accident

Gun Control thread - https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=86932

Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2006 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the guy was far enough away to take the shot without serious injury, then it seems to me that Cheney was being wreckless and shooting too low. I believe that in some states he could be liable for criminal charges. I know that this was the law in Ca. back when I took the NRA gun course, back in the 70's: If you shoot someone, you are almost always at fault. "Whoops" doesn't count; you could still be hit with wreckless endagerment, or some similar charge.

And yes, I am NRA and proud of it. :biggrin:

4. Feb 12, 2006 #3
    Cheney was just using his typical spray and pray method.

5. Feb 12, 2006 #4

SOS2008

Gold Member

Well at least Cheney was out of the White House where he has caused much more serious damage.

6. Feb 12, 2006 #5

turbo

Gold Member

As a gun owner and avid hunter and target shooter, I am always dismayed when somebody gets injured or killed by another person's carelessnes. If I were Cheney, I would take this incident as a sign that I had no right to be handling firearms around other people. The man could easily have been blinded.

7. Feb 12, 2006 #6
    You mean he pulled the trigger without assessing the situation and there were unexpected civilian casualties?

And it wasn't at all Cheney's fault? No! It was God's will: "And by God, Harry was in the line of fire and got peppered pretty good."

:smile:

8. Feb 12, 2006 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One time while duck hunting, my dad took a shot and at precisely the same time he stepped on a six foot tall tule branch. Just as I heard the shot the branch slapped me very hard across the face. Not knowing what had happend, I reached up in a panic thinking that my face would be gone! :surprised It scared the heck out of me. :rofl:

Sorry, OT but I hadn't thought of this in a long time.

9. Feb 12, 2006 #8
    At the rifle range, my dad was teaching me how to shoot a .243 he had just bought for me and had scoped, etc. So he loaded up, aimed downrange, and fired. When he turned around, his face was spurting blood. I thought he'd been shot, but he was laughing - which just made it even more unnerving. What'd happened was he forgot that the rifle was sighted in for me and he was a lot taller. It's called being scope-bit. Needless to say, that pretty much ended that lesson for that day. As we were walking out, some of the managers (a lot of them former sheriffs, etc) walked up to him and chuckled. "Don't worry, that happens to a lot of the guy's who come in here's girlfriends." Good times.

10. Feb 12, 2006 #9

SOS2008

Gold Member

Someone probably asked Cheney about the Plame leak as he was sqeezing the trigger. I'm sure they'll find a way to blame it on Clinton so they won't lose NRA support.

11. Feb 12, 2006 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I suspect the exact opposite happened. Last time i went out hunting, i was sprayed with some pellets from a guy who was 100 yards away. The bird was pretty high up and the guy hit the bird and then pretty much hit me with a little 2 for 1 deal. I've never hunted quail though, how low do those things go? Pretty interesting experience to be hit like that. It sounds exactly like a shower.

12. Feb 12, 2006 #11

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

They usually start on the ground, and usually one's dog (bird dog) flushes them out, and they fly generally low, but sometimes up to maybe 20 feet or so. They are similar to partridges.

http://huntingsociety.org/quailhunting.html

on huntingsociety.org from Encyclopedia Brittanica.

Try also Quail Unlimited - http://www.qu.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quail

13. Feb 12, 2006 #12
    I'm from Austin and I just found out this guy's someone my family knows. He used to go walking by our house (w. a cane). Nice guy though. I'm suprised he is in as good of shape as he is.

14. Feb 12, 2006 #13
    It doesn't take a hunter to be concerned about the similarity between Cheney's reckless use of a shotgun and his potential responsibility for launching thousands of conventional or thermonuclear bombs.

15. Feb 12, 2006 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

It takes a rather special person to be concerned about that indeed.

16. Feb 12, 2006 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So, what happens when the VP shoots a lawyer? What I keep wondering is why none of the Secret Service agents who must be swarming all over the place noticed this guy was wandering in the wrong place at the wrong time and shouted out a warning. It's not like he was out with nobody but a bunch of beer-guzzling buddies, he's out with people trained to use all sorts of weapons and paid to notice their surroundings.

17. Feb 12, 2006 #16
    They really should have been standing side by side so that sort of thing would not happen.

18. Feb 12, 2006 #17

SOS2008

Gold Member

Thankfully Mr. Whittington is okay, and I hope a fast recovery for him. Truly, this is just going to provide material for comedians.

19. Feb 12, 2006 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

For one, the VP doesn't necessarily have SS all over the place 24/7... and two....

I'm surprised no one picked up on this funny little nugget:

20. Feb 12, 2006 #19
    .........and three, you don't start shooting until the guy getting his bird comes back to the group.

and four, "SS all over the place 24/7", yes, he does.

Regan had SS with him when he would go chop down tree's on his ranch.

21. Feb 12, 2006 #20
    This guy should be honored. He is what, the second person to be shot by a vice president? And if so, the first one to live to tell about it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?