1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

US - where to get loan for Masters degree?

1. Aug 20, 2013 #1
    hello,

where can i get loan for masters degree. i know some companies like discover give loan for graduate study but i'm curious what better options i have.

is it too late to fill fafsa and apply for federal loan?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2013 #2
    It's not too late, contact your school financia aid office, and ask them what to do.
    the Fafsa should take you a couple of minutes to deal with online.

4. Aug 20, 2013 #3
    okay thanks. any other decent alternatives?

5. Aug 20, 2013 #4
    alternatives to federal student loans?
    Private ones, like the one Discover, Sallie Mae etc . . . offer.
    Only Borrow from Private companies what you cant get from the Government.

6. Aug 20, 2013 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You have given insufficient information for us to help you even more.

For example, what subject area are you intending to pursue your Masters degree in?

This can make a difference, because pursuing a graduate degree in Math, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Engineering might open the possibility of you applying for a TA'ship to that school. In that case, your tuition and fees might be covered, while you also will receive some stipend.

Zz.

7. Aug 20, 2013 #6
    that rarely happens for a Msc degree, right?

8. Aug 20, 2013 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Why?

Any student pursuing a graduate degree has the same chance of receiving a TA'ship. I know of no policy in which M.Sc students are considered less than Ph.D students.

Zz.

9. Aug 20, 2013 #8
    yes but as a graduate student you're less likely to get these kind of positions if you only want to pursue a Msc degree. Are you aware there are a whole lot of universities in the US only interested in funding PhD students?

10. Aug 20, 2013 #9

ZombieFeynman

Gold Member

Are you aware that many schools award a Masters on the way to a PhD, typically after a candidacy exam is passed?

11. Aug 21, 2013 #10

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Again, I want to see evidence for this.

I'm a faculty member. I know of no policy in place in which the TA award favors someone who is pursuing a PhD more than a M.Sc degree. So no, I am not aware of this non-existent policy.

Zz.

12. Aug 21, 2013 #11
    That's great and all but if you want to have a little thing called a job then a PhD is useless. Also, you will ruin your reputation with a university if you are RA funded and decide to take off after a masters. Also, a PhD is risky in the sense that if you do not like what you are doing then you are stuck with it for the next 5 years. A MSc at least allows you to learn more about what you like and it is a 2 year commitment.

In my school TA funding is based off of GPA, which is fair. However, you will get laughed at if you expect to get an RA on a MSc. Also, do you have any idea how little a TA pays? Not enough to cover rent, food and gas per month. If you want to tell me I'm wrong about this, or suggest a solution, then I suggest you donate me 1600 dollars per semester.

Even if you get a TA, you wont be able to afford to live. My recommendation is apply for a student plus loan. It's what I had to do. https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action

13. Aug 21, 2013 #12

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You have lost all contact with the topic of this thread. It isn't about doing a phd vs masters, it isn't about getting an RA either.

Read carefully and pay attention before jumping in.

Zz.

14. Aug 21, 2013 #13
    I think that's pretty on topic. Also, it is important that the OP is aware of the things I mentioned earlier. I dont see how it's not related.

15. Aug 21, 2013 #14

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Then out of your previous post, only ONE sentence was relevant to the topic, which means the rest can be deleted as off-topic rambling, ya?

Zz.

16. Aug 21, 2013 #15
    I'm not gonna turn this into an argument, I'll message you

17. Aug 22, 2013 #16
    all I'm saying is, many schools won't admit you because they would rather have PhD students than people only seeking a Msc degree. I just assumed the same rationale was used when reviewing applications for TA/RA positions.
    I also assumed that Funding is not unlimited and Departments would rather focus that money on people who plan on staying longer than others who are only interested in staying short term. I may have gone a bit overboard, but if I were in the OP's position I would get in touch with Msc students at the school of my choice to figure out how hard/easy it was for them to get a TA/RA position if they ever did.

18. Aug 22, 2013 #17

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

But this is now a different issue, isn't it? You are now arguing about getting ADMITTED. That is not the topic being asked by the OP. Presumably, if he can't even get admitted, then worrying about paying for it is moot, and he wouldn't be asking where he would get the money! I can also play the speculation game. What if he's applying to a school that ONLY has a M.Sc program for that major as the highest awarded degree? I can point to you many schools here in the US that grant M.Sc degree in physics as being the highest degree awarded!

Do you see now what happens if you start making guesses and addressing something that wasn't asked? Remember the ORIGINAL QUESTION: "where can i get loan for masters degree." It didn't ask for how can I get admission and then pay for it.

Zz.

19. Aug 22, 2013 #18
    yup, it would help to know what programs has the OP been admitted to or is considering applying to.

@catsarebad if you read this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook